Conduit sleeve size for PEX pipe?

Users who are viewing this thread

JoeJee

HVAC Contractor
Reaction score
Does anyone have a chart for what PVC sleeve size to use for different sized PEX pipe? What about with insulation? I know non-insulated 3/4 PEX can go through 2” PVC easily. What about 1” and 1-1/4? Figured this would help me and others when preparing for slab penetrations.

pex-sizes.jpg

JAYROD_co

Reaction score
I'm not sure about exact size but I just went through this at the plumbing store last week. He recommended for my 1 inch water line coming into the house 2 inch PVC. I had some extra three though so used that for the sleeve and 90 up instead. The 1 inch went through the 1/4 90 elbow with not much problem. I'm think 2 inch would have been a little more stress on it. However I didn't have enough 45s left so I just 90 straight up to the hot water heater. 2 inch with a smaller angle going up would have worked just fine.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
PEX is copper tube size. Copper tube size is the inside diameter plus 1/8th inch. So 3/4" PEX is 7/8" plus whatever type of insulation you get and there are many types. So you might have 1/2" insulation on each side of the pipe so you'd end up with 1-7/8" OD total. Meaning 2 PVC (sched 40) would work.

A chart for this plumbing knowledge would probably just be more confusing than knowing how it works. Seeing as insulation isn't standard.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Jojee, its just simple addition tell us what thickness insulation you are using

JoeJee

HVAC Contractor
Reaction score
…. I like charts. Easy for me to reference. I have a hard time understanding that charts could be confusing but I am a bit of a numbers/organization fanatic when it comes to work….

We will be pulling 1/2” all the way up to 1-1/4” PEX from under the slab. Will use long sweep 90’s.

Other than none to 3/8 insulation on cold line, I don’t really know what size insulation will be used on hot line. Main reason is what will be available from the suppliers. I would like 3/4 for hot but availability and cost is tough compared to 1/2. Even 1/2 has had some trouble here.

John Gayewski, have you pulled 3/4 insulated PEX through a 2” PVC pipe? I fear that the first fitting or worse the first long sweep 90 would cause all kinds of frustration. I must say that I have NOT pulled insulated PEX through 2” but uninsulated pulls fine.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
your planning on using PVC DWV long sweeps ? I've never done it might be pretty tight 1 inch and 1-1/4 probably going to need 3 inch I was thinking electrical sweeps

JoeJee

HVAC Contractor
Reaction score
your planning on using pvc dwv long sweeps ? ive never done it might be pretty tight 1 inch and 1 1/4 probebly going to need 3 inch I was thinking electical sweeps
As long as I can skip it past the inspector, I will use electrical conduit long sweeps. Figured 1-1/4 would be the fun one. Can’t have junctions below slab so have to come up. That thick pipe doesn’t like to bend very easily.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
I've pulled 3/4 pipe through electrical conduit. But not a great distance and only one 90 also no insulation when I did it. I didn't even do it "after the fact". I did it while everything was exposed and the hole was open. I wouldn't recommend someone trying this unless they know what they are doing.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks