Condensate drain for HPHW

Users who are viewing this thread

Matt in Seattle

Reaction score
I am working on switching to a Heat Pump Water Heater and I am trying to figure out how to plumb the condensate drain. Unfortunately I do not have a floor drain or a laundry sink I can go into. But the main 4" plumbing stack is right next to where I am installing. Is there a way I could drain the condensate into the main stack and still ensure proper DWV? Here are some questions:

* The condensate would need to go through a p-trap before going into the main stack, but there is no way to connect back into the main venting. IIRC each point of use has to have it's own vent to prevent siphoning, right? (but maybe there is an exception for closet bends within a certain distance from main stack?)
* Could I use AAV to fulfill this vent requirement, as long as I have it well above where the drain feeds back into main (and accessible for maintenance).
* I haven't owned an HPWH before, I have no idea what the flow rate of this condensate is. I suspect it's drip-drip-drip rather than a steady flow, but it's still probably gallons per day? (I'm in Seattle, HPWH will pull/push air from attic) Will it be enough to keep a p-trap wet?
* I could also consider using small condensate pump and routing some tubing maybe 15 feet where it could drain outside into a stairwell drain, but I'd prefer to not have it dripping and running across the concrete.

Thanks for considering

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks