Concentric vs snorkel

Users who are viewing this thread

Doug. G.

Reaction score
I'm planning to install a wall hung boiler and I prefer the look of concentric vent terminator over the more common snorkel style. Concentrics aren't used much in my area and I'm wondering if the pro's out there could comment on whether there's something inefficient about concentrics as apposed to snorkels or is mostly just personal preference .

Reach4

Reaction score
I am not a pro.

The combustion air traveling in a concentric pipe prewarms the incoming air. That is good for heating water, but not for combustion engines.

The closer spacing of the intake and outgo areas on the side of the building is a negative. I don't know how that would net out.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The prewarming of the intake air is not a factor for a typical gas burner assuming the air/fuel mixture is properly setup.

MOst of the concentric units blow the exhaust out towards a different direction versus where it pulls in combustion air. If it is oriented properly, it shouldn't have any effect on the efficiency or operation of the unit.

The exhaust I have is sort of a hybrid. It's one piece on the exterior, but uses two separate pipes through the wall. When the contractor installed it originally, they did not follow the instructions and the exhaust's moisture on a super cold day condensed, dripped down, and froze over the inlet, shutting the unit down. I verified with the manufacturer that they installed it wrong, they swapped the inlet/outlet, and it's worked fine for years since.

In our condo complex, many of the units use a Trane condensing furnace. THey use a similar device - two pipes through the wall into a single device. Those blow the exhaust out straight, and suck combustion air in around the base so there's minimal cross-contamination of the combustion air.

Using a snorkel may be slightly less money. I see no reason to go that way unless you really want to. This all assumes that the device's instructions allow the concentric system (all that I've seen, do).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks