Code compliant solution to relocate my drain&vent near the wall for their basement section?

Users who are viewing this thread

Mini Me

Reaction score
I have this bathroom in the picture below and I would like the soil drain and the vent to follow the green line in the picture
The drain is 19" away from the wall and the vent is 29" away from the wall
There was a tiled wall there that I removed the drywall from in order to redo the tiles and I am now wondering if I can get rid of it
yY2Zyjb.png

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
lot of work but mostly demo. should be pretty easy once things are opened up to see exactly how

Mini Me

Reaction score
I am interested for the plumbing solution
The wall where I want to move it has not framing so nothing is required there
The ceiling is already removed and I can see what is up there
The question is what fittings do I need and how to combine them to make the above happening.

at the bottom I could reroute above the floor and hide it in a box that will sit between the sink and toilet or I could break the floor and try to hide it there

Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I am interested for the plumbing solution
The wall where I want to move it has not framing so nothing is required there
The ceiling is already removed and I can see what is up there
The question is what fittings do I need and how to combine them to make the above happening.

at the bottom I could reroute above the floor and hide it in a box that will sit between the sink and toilet or I could break the floor and try to hide it there[
Thats good that you can see what is there. but we cant see it Show how the first floor is plumbed from underneath the first floor in your crwl space , basement, or under slab. whatever the case may be

Mini Me

Reaction score
It is what you see in the picture encircled in black
that is under the floor and a short span in the wall for the sink
the only ting that I am missing for the under the floor it the connection between the vent (grey pipe) and the soil drain (purple pipe)
there is nothing else there

I don't think that what is happening under the floor can be much different than that.
for the grey scribbled pipes I know thy go that way because I can see where the floor was opened to install them and then filled back
Everything else was builder added

clyA9zJ.png

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
whats underneath? pipes are coming straight up from a lower floor? you said drywall was removed

Mini Me

Reaction score
bottom floor is basement so concrete and whatever is underneath
top floor is the main floor aka ground floor -wood 2x8 joists

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
that helps to know . So I would break out floor see whats needed . pull toilet leave tub for now that should be ok

Mini Me

Reaction score
they are all removed what you see in the picture is where they were
I won't break the floor unless I get an idea what I am going to do
what if I break the floor and then you tell me ..."it is not possible!"
I think a pro would be able to guess the layout with all the data I have right now
I am having a plumber come buy Saturday .... but I would like to form my own opinion before he comes

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
hopefully someone else will have help its a very active site and 9 other real smart plumbers have been reading your posts. let us know what your plumber has to tell you saturday it might help others

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
good youve got a plan now, sounds like the plan now does not include moving both pipes? but any way good that someone is giving you answers? Looked at other site you provided a little better info there. its very helpful to articulate well . minor info like which dirrection the main goes has a big clue as to where the pipes below slab will be. btw the down stair toilet should/ is definately not vented into the soil stack going upstairs so scratch that off list as posibble ways it would have been plumbed its connected to vent stack. but dought this info is helpful as youll see that as soon as you start jack hammering.

Mini Me

Reaction score
Well you did not ask questions, the guys did so I kept adding info till someone provided a solution (a cool one if you ask me)
I still need to run it through the next plumber who will quoate me the work
The previous one did not suggest such a solution and the cost was astronomical

There is no other piping there ...it must connect to the soil stack that is for sure
If it is vented or no using the soil stack for a short section that has to be clarified

What I am worried about is if this really works
Here is the final diagram

The bottom of the stack under the slab has to be clarified but I do no see in how many ways you can connect those things there

The bath tub will rotate 90 degrees counter clock wise and will be replaced by a shower pan
The sink will move to the south of the picture in the corner where the bath tub ends and its piping will be used to build the green vent

qexe4Yw.png

Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
for them to plumb it way you suspect it is requires deeper digging . most likely the toilet comes off the dark grey side and that above the santee is begining of the Vent . the project might appear difficult especialy if attempting yourself but for a plumber not too bad just hard to explain it all . jackhammering dust and digging plus im sure you dont want to go without plumbing long

Mini Me

Reaction score
I don't think that I need to dig at the bottom of the stack, that is the ingenious part of this solution
By my understanding, If cut the vertical grey pipe just above the ground and I cap it (I could make it a clean out) and I build the green path for the air this should work. So then how do I care how it is piped under the slab at the bottom of the stack ?

Mini Me

Reaction score
not sure if that is rhetorical ironical or simply a question
If you know a reason why I would keep that please disclose it
The objective for me was to relocate one or both vertical pipes near the wall

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
its a question. but i dont see how to eliminate the vent without breaking out floor. Are you planning to re plumb the toilet ,tub ,andlav? Or currently its just rough plumbed for a toilet? Im wondering how the lav is currently vented without the new green pipe?
The bath tub and toilet normaly would have been vented below floor into the grey pipe ,so cutting that and eliminating would mean eliminating the vent, they arent/shouldnt be vented to soil stack.
Im not following everything so well , Is the whole reason to do this because theres pipes coming through basement bathroom? or it was never finished and your doing a differant layout?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks