Clearance minimum between flow sleeve and pump?

Users who are viewing this thread

Showme

Reaction score
Ready to put the new pump in the new well, and I've got one more question before I stick it in the ground. My pump is a Grundfoss SQFlex 6. With a 2.9" diameter, I've got what looks like about 1/8" clearance around the pump body inside a 3" thin wall pvc pipe. Specs say it has a 3 1/16" ID.
Anyway, I'm wondering just how much clearance is correct/enough/won't screw something up.

I did the 'slice the top and strangle the pipe with it' job for my flow sleeve. Used a stainless clamp and taped the heck out of it around the check valve with waterproof gorilla tape. I'd actually bought a commercial Graham 4" sleeve, thinking it would fit in my 4" bore. (The page on Aqua Science listed it as 4x...). It turned out to be over 4 1/4", so I sent it back and made my own. Which is another thing- How can a sleeve the same size as the well diameter allow any water to go around it?

IMG_0222.jpg

IMG_0223.jpg

So, I'm ready to get out there in that 100* plus heat tomorrow and put this in, but I needed to make sure I've got this in proper working order, and a visit to the experts here was in order. Thanks for any and all replies. Lee

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
How much space is available for water to flow around an SQ pump motor in a flow inducer?
Pipe​
ID​
Area in²​
Pump OD​
Area in²​
Annular in²​
OD​
Pipe ID equv​
3inch Schedule 40​
3.042​
7.268​
2.9​
6.605​
0.663​
3.500​
0.919​
3 inch D2729 solid sewer​
3.102​
7.557​
2.9​
6.605​
0.952​
3.250​
1.101​
ASTM D3034 SDR35​
3.064​
7.373​
2.9​
6.605​
0.768​
3.250​
0.989​

Now the motor and intake OD is not exactly 2.9. It will be less. The above chart presumes 2.9 inch. For comparison, a pipe with actual 1 inch ID would have an area of 0.785 in².

Which pipe did you use? Anyway, you should be good. Plenty of room for the flow.

I hope you left some slack in the wire. I expect the plastic pipe to stretch some.

Last edited:

Showme

Reaction score
It was the thinnest sewer pipe Lowe's had. If it wasn't 30 miles away, I'd go out and check. Seems like it was sdr35, but the wall thicknesses measured about 3/32". Inside was 3 1/16". I was never any good at translating decimals into fractions. I'm an Ironworker, not a machinist. :) Took me a while just to figure .9" as a fraction. My tape only has sixteenths. But thanks for the confirmation that it's enough room to keep me from ruining my $2000 pump. That's the answer I was looking for.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks