Clack WS1 not pulling brine

Users who are viewing this thread

Cautioncones

Reaction score
So I have spent ages trying to find someone with the same problem as I without success. I have a Clack WS1 softener and since day 1 it has not drawn brine. Heres a little about my system.

It is a 32,000 grain system. Backwash is set to 6 minutes, 60 minute brine, 4 minute rinse and about the same for a fill.

The drain plumbed no more than 3 feet and during the backwash cycle drains perfectly.

During the brine cycle, water comes from the softener TO the brine tank through the brine line. There has never been suction at my brine line or even removing the brine elbow and putting my finger over it, instead it squirts water around my finger.

I have a red injector (E I believe). Inside the top of the injector is a little white plug, I am not sure if that should be there or not. I have checked all o rings and they look good. The injector screen is also clean.

I did remove the brine line at top of the valve head and sucked in, receiving a mouth full of salty water, but atleast I know its clear.

Does anyone have any idea what else I could do or check regarding it not sucking up brine? I did pull the brine line and drain line off to look down at the piston and stack. I didnt see water moving around but it did remain full of water while in normal operation mode and not bypass.

BkE

Reaction score
I once had a cliënt where the injector wasn't pushed down completely in the hole, same symptoms... Did you try if it was fixed/pushed down completely ?

Is the brine piston attached to the piston?

Cautioncones

Reaction score
I once had a cliënt where the injector wasn't pushed down completely in the hole, same symptoms... Did you try if it was fixed/pushed down completely ?

Is the brine piston attached to the piston?

I have not gone as far as pulling the piston and stack out. Do you happen to remember if there is a small white plug on the topside of the injector? Or should I be able to see straight through?

Cautioncones

Reaction score
This is what I have going in if it helps. The white plug is what I'm referencing that was in the top side of the injector but its 100% sealed, theres no pin hole in it.

Attachments

• 20200108_163558.jpg
    20200108_163558.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 236
  • 20200108_163601.jpg
    20200108_163601.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 230
  • 20200108_163620.jpg
    20200108_163620.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 229
  • 20200108_163639.jpg
    20200108_163639.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 301
  • 20200108_163846.jpg
    20200108_163846.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 244

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Make sure the injector is in the correct position. There is an up and a down postion, this depends on the valve and piston inside the valve. Can you pull the piston out and post a picture of it? How long have you had the valve?

Cautioncones

Reaction score
Make sure the injector is in the correct position. There is an up and a down postion, this depends on the valve and piston inside the valve. Can you pull the piston out and post a picture of it? How long have you had the valve?

I can pull the piston and stack when I get home in the morning and will upload some photos.

I have had the valve for about 3 years. The company who installed it went under and it has never worked since day 1 in terms of pulling brine. I set it to bypass and left it. I'm finally tired of not having a working system and want to get it going again. I know mine is "suppose" to be a downflow set up, but I will upload photos when i get home.

BkE

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure your injector is broken. It should be red with something white in the middle with a tiny hole in the centre. I think yours came apart and you seem to have a red piece and a separate white piece...

Cautioncones

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure your injector is broken. It should be red with something white in the middle with a tiny hole in the centre. I think yours came apart and you seem to have a red piece and a separate white piece...

So the white piece I knocked out. Upon close inspection theres no pin hole in that white piece, its 100% closed. There was a little "tail" coming off the tip as if too much plastic was used and it started to drip

Cautioncones

Reaction score
If its suppose to look like this photo, mine definitely does not. Theres no little hole in my white piece

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200109-013318_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200109-013318_Chrome.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 243

Cautioncones

Reaction score
Indeed, deels like a manufacturing defect... Never seen a faulty Clack injector like that before :)

I am ordering a new injector before I start doing a full rebuild. I will post the outcome after replacing it. Thank you for your help, fingers crossed this is the problem!

Bannerman

Reaction score
Congrats on finding and resolving the cause of the problem.

If the system has not used brine for several regeneration cycles, the resin capacity will have been exhausted. Recommend an initial 1X regeneration using 20 lbs of salt to regenerate 100% of resin capacity.

With your current 4 minute BF setting X an anticipated brine refill rate of 0.5 gpm, will result in 2 gallons water entering the brine tank to dissolve 6 lbs salt. As approx 6.6 gallons will be needed to dissolve 20 lbs, add an additional 4,6 gallons water with a bucket, then wait about 1.5 hours to allow sufficient salt to dissolve before initiating a manual regeneration cycle.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks