Clack WS1 Breaking Seal Packs

Users who are viewing this thread

Aaron Barlow

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have a Hellenbrand Water softener, which is a rebranded Clack ws1 even down to the part numbers. So far this year, I've replaced the seal pack and pistons three times due to the seal pack basket breaking. Each time, it has been a different location on the cage. This unit is about 8 years old, but I can't figure out what is going on with the unit. I've followed the installation instructions to the letter about o-ring seal placement on the seal pack to ensure things aren't too tight. The pistons are not cracked and appear smooth. I don't want to replace this unit if I don't have to, but I can't keep replacing the seal packs either. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Reach4

Reaction score
Do you use a lube on the seal packs when you replace? If none is provided, consider Molykote 7 release compound.

Also, I wonder if a cartridge filter before the softener would help.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Do not use Vaseline, oils, other hydrocarbon lubricants or spray silicone anywhere. A silicon lubricant may be used on black o-rings
but is not necessary. Avoid any type of lubricants, including silicone, on red or clear lip seals.

As to why they are breaking, total mystery. I would recommend removing all the internals, caps, etc and flush the valve out. Be sure there is nothing floating around inside the valve that can cause a piston jam.

Aaron Barlow

Reaction score
Thanks for your help everyone. I'll try and flush out the valve, perhaps a piece of one of the previous seal packs has gotten wedged somewhere where I can't see or reach it.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Thanks for your help everyone. I'll try and flush out the valve, perhaps a piece of one of the previous seal packs has gotten wedged somewhere where I can see or reach it.
Clean the injector and injector screen while you are at it. I expect you were going to do that anyway.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks