Clack WS1 Breaking Seal Packs

Discussion in 'Water Softener Forum, Questions and Answers' started by Aaron Barlow, Oct 14, 2019.

1. Aaron Barlow

Aaron Barlow New Member

Hi everyone,

I have a Hellenbrand Water softener, which is a rebranded Clack ws1 even down to the part numbers. So far this year, I've replaced the seal pack and pistons three times due to the seal pack basket breaking. Each time, it has been a different location on the cage. This unit is about 8 years old, but I can't figure out what is going on with the unit. I've followed the installation instructions to the letter about o-ring seal placement on the seal pack to ensure things aren't too tight. The pistons are not cracked and appear smooth. I don't want to replace this unit if I don't have to, but I can't keep replacing the seal packs either. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

Do you use a lube on the seal packs when you replace? If none is provided, consider Molykote 7 release compound.

Also, I wonder if a cartridge filter before the softener would help.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. ditttohead

ditttohead Water systems designer, R&D

Water systems designer, R&D, Technical Director
    Do not use Vaseline, oils, other hydrocarbon lubricants or spray silicone anywhere. A silicon lubricant may be used on black o-rings
    but is not necessary. Avoid any type of lubricants, including silicone, on red or clear lip seals.

As to why they are breaking, total mystery. I would recommend removing all the internals, caps, etc and flush the valve out. Be sure there is nothing floating around inside the valve that can cause a piston jam.

5. Aaron Barlow

Aaron Barlow New Member

Thanks for your help everyone. I'll try and flush out the valve, perhaps a piece of one of the previous seal packs has gotten wedged somewhere where I can't see or reach it.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
  6. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

Clean the injector and injector screen while you are at it. I expect you were going to do that anyway.