Chlorine smell/taste after Genesis Duo softener

Users who are viewing this thread

mjfink

Reaction score
Recently installed a Genesis Duo filter/softener (2CF capacity). Roughly 10G hardness, municipal (chlorinated) water.

Everything was fine for the first few months, but, water seemed to be getting a little hard. Assumed I had a salt bridge, went down, beat up the brine well, added a few gallons of water and regenerated the system. After that, it's been all downhill.

The water is soft, but it smells very strongly (and tastes) of bleach. Did NOT add any bleach to the brine well, and I can't, for the life of me, figure out where the smell/taste could be coming from. Could the system be putting in too much salt and eletrolysis breaking the salt into CL somewhere in my pipes (copper pipes)? It's crazy, but that's about the only thing that I can come up with. Bypassing the softener resolves the issue entirely. Even with the smell, the water is wonderfully soft, it just stinks. I think it's actually worse after a regeneration than it is as the system capacity runs down. Did "supercharging" the system by adding water to brine well put way too much salt in that's not being flushed correctly?

At a loss for ideas, love to get some ideas/suggestions.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Have you contacted the online company? That is a Canature system mostly made in China. It is basically a Fleck 5600 knock-off. Years ago I used to sell them, I really have little positive to say about them. They are very inexpensive, there, that's a positive. :)

Are you on municipal water or your own well?

Chlorine generation by using salt... even with the proper equipment that we install on some regen systems will only get a couple ppm. You will usually start to notice a chlorine smell after 3 ppm. Have you tested for chlorine? I would bypass the unit and get it fixed before using the water, sounds like something is very wrong with one of the medias.

Reaction score
I know this is an old post. I too am looking into this Genesis Duo filter/softener.
OP said "the company is Canature which is mostly made in China?"
However they claim to be in Illinois?
Did you ever figure out the issue to this chlorine smell problem with this unit?
Any tips or advice would be helpful.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Buy a different unit. Kia's USA headquarters are in Irvine, this does not mean they are made in Irvine California. A company having an address in the USA means very little as to their equipments place of origin.

Old

Reaction score
I know this is an old post. I too am looking into this Genesis Duo filter/softener.
OP said "the company is Canature which is mostly made in China?"
However they claim to be in Illinois?
Did you ever figure out the issue to this chlorine smell problem with this unit?
Any tips or advice would be helpful.

Their office is in Illinois. Everything is from China. They are pure trash. I work for a canature dealer. We have been selling canature for ~8 yrs now. I absolutely hate everything about them. I could write a book on all the problems. Its comical how incredibly bad they are. We waste so much time on warranty work, it's amazing. We beg owner of our company to switch brands but he is blinded by the cheap purchase price.
Before canature we sold fleck and autotrol. Other that normal wear/tear items we don't have problems with them.

Please, please DO NOT buy any canature equipment. I could get a canature at cost for my own house. Instead I chose to order a fleck from an online dealer for several hundred dollars more than the similar canature. They are junk, do not buy.

Bobby

Reaction score
Thank you!
I worked for a company that dealt Canature/Hydrotech and there are many issues. Don't be fooled by internet web sites touting warranty and efficiency. This is pure marketing and not reality. Clack and Fleck are the 2 industry standards. Also, have the resin verified as there are many quality claims which are impossible to disprove when preloaded.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks