Chimney liner question

Discussion in 'Boiler Forum' started by Dario, Mar 6, 2021.

1. Dario

Dario New Member

Going from oil to gas boiler cast iron in a couple years going to install chimney liner is it better to buy a stainless steel insulated liner or non insulated liner. Chimney now is terra cotta liner 25 feet . thank you

2. nebojsa

nebojsa New Member

Cant speak for others,just had a chimney liner installed last year for my boiler. I asked about a stainless steel liner.The HVAC people told me they install the stainless steel liners where high temperature is involved :fireplaces,wood burning stove's.

For the boiler the regular insert will do unless you want to spend the money for stainless steel. Would be interesting to hear other opinions.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Sylvan

Sylvan Still learning

plumbing - fire suppression - boiler inspector
    When I took out my huge oil-fired boiler I installed 2 small gas boilers.

All that was required is I have a licensed chimney sweep clean all the soot and file the job that the existing chimney was safe

You may find it cost-effective to contact your local building department and ask the inspector

5. JohnCT

JohnCT Still learning..slowly

It's just as or even more important to install a liner on newer boilers that have a lower stack temp, and is a requirement on mod/cons that are vented through the original flue. Cool condensation will probably destroy the masonry faster than a hot flue temp will.

John