CentriPro Motors -Submersible pump motor any good

Users who are viewing this thread

Onokai

Reaction score
I am thinking about getting a spare pump and motor for when my 25 year old one fails
The current model is a Goulds/Franklin combo-I installed it 25 years ago in a 110 foot well. 3 wire setup

Our local pump shop got out of residential pump work but still will order and sell parts/pumps ect
they can get the old combo and build it for twice the cost of this other brand motor.
I live in the boonies and this combo can be had for twice the cost as a Goulds/CentriPro ordered online
any thoughts whether these CentiPro motors are good??
I have not been able to find much out on these motors-I think they are still made in the US?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I prefer Franklin motors. I am still hearing of a few problems with the Centripro and Pentek. But you don't want to put a new motor on the shelf for any length of time. The motor will be low on fluid when you install and it won't last long. You can store a pump end for as long as you want, just not the motor. You either need to figure our how to check and top off the fluid in the motor before installing, or just get an up to date motor when the time comes.

Onokai

Reaction score
Can you explain the fluid in motor? Is this water or oil for bearings or something else? I'm sure motors sit around in warehouses for long periods? why not my garage? I could keep it wet if needed.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
I prefer Franklin motors. I am still hearing of a few problems with the Centripro and Pentek. But you don't want to put a new motor on the shelf for any length of time. The motor will be low on fluid when you install and it won't last long. You can store a pump end for as long as you want, just not the motor. You either need to figure our how to check and top off the fluid in the motor before installing, or just get an up to date motor when the time comes.

I have a few 1 hp Franklins, usa made. How would I top off the fluid? Link? Is it in the AIM manual? Don't they self filled if set in the well for some time before starting up? I think you said long ago to store them in water [?]

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
I am thinking about getting a spare pump and motor for when my 25 year old one fails
The current model is a Goulds/Franklin combo-I instalkled it 25 yaers ago in a 110 foot well. 3 wire setup

Our local pump shop got out of residential pump work but still will order and sell parts/pumps ect
they can get the old combo and build it for twice the cost of this other brand motor.
I live in the boonies and this combo can be had for twice the cost as a Goulds/CentriPro ordered online
any thoghts whether these CentiPro motors are good??
I have not been able to find much out on these motors-I think they are still made in tbe US?

I just bought a spare pump head, I shopped it a lot and this seems to be the best price: https://www.pumpproducts.com/brands...-only/4-well-pump-end-only/16s-sp-series.html I have one in a well over 30 years now with a Franklin motor. I have a few Franklin motors for backup, but if you search this site and others, the motor and pump as a unit are oddly much cheaper than buying seperate components. Here is a nice Myers and they claim the pump is made in Wisconsin: https://www.pumpproducts.com/brands...ump-motor/s-series.html?product_list_limit=48

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Can you expalin the fluid in motor? Is this water or oil for bearings or something else? I'm sure motors sit around in warehouses for long periods? why not my garage?I could keep it wet if needed.

It is the motors that sit in the warehouse for too long that show problems. Finding a wet spot in the box shows the motor leaked water over time. But the water can also just evaporate through the Stainless Steel skin and not leave a spot on the box. If the fluid level is even a tiny bit low when the motor is stood up and installed, the top bearing will run dry and not last very long.

There is a diaphragm in the bottom of the motor to equalize the pressure inside the motor to the same as the outside pressure. There is a small screen at the top of the motor to let a little water in or out as the diaphragm moves. But there is no way to vent the air if the motor was low on fluid when installed. For this reason warehouses try not to store water filled motors for very long. Even above ground motors stored in a warehouse will have someone who is hired to just spin those motors ever couple of weeks to keep the bearings from pitting or sticking. Pumps can be stored for a long time, but not motors.

I am sure there are other ways, but I have always checked or filled the fluid in a submersible motor from the bottom. Removing the bottom end cap and diaphragm allows water/antifreeze to be added easily. It is very important that there not be even a tiny air bubble in the motor when installed as will cause problems quickly.

Reach4

Reaction score
Sounds like a container made from a 4 inch PVC/ABS pipe, with a glued cap on the bottom, would make a nice storage container. Fill with what? RV antifreeze for a freezing area? Water with 1/4 teaspoon of bleach to kill initial biologics? Ordinary tap water only?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
A little eco friendly antifreeze and distilled water with no minerals. Sounds like a lot of trouble but might work if you can keep water out of the wires.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks