Caulking shower fixtures, do you leave a week hole?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by shelzmike, May 21, 2020 at 1:59 PM.

1. shelzmike

shelzmike Member

I have seen some disagreement on this over the internet.

When applying silicone to shower/bath fixtures, do you leave a week hole or area underneath the fixtures and plates for any reason? Seems like this doesnt make much sense.

Also, bonus question. Silicone on overflow in tub? (Obviously in this instance you wouldn't go all the way around.

2. James Henry

James Henry In the Trades

Plumber
    I think you mean a weep hole. if you don't caulk all the way around water will get behind the tile. use your judgement.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. shelzmike

shelzmike Member

I absolutely knew that. Victim of stupid autocorrect once again!

Your answer confirms what I was thinking. If you leave a weep hole, why silicone it at all! Either it's going to work or not work.

5. James Henry

Plumber
  6. James Henry

Plumber
    Look at your shower valve and plate assembly, when its together and mounted does it look like water will enter inside the cover plate when you are taking a shower? if it does then leave a weep hole.

7. Jeff H Young

Jeff H Young Active Member

if the valve is on a shower without a hand held then a weep hole on bottom might help. but doubtfull . on electrical fixtures outdoor sparky sometimes caulks like that.

8. DIYorBust

DIYorBust Active Member

I would not, usually there is another route for small amounts water to evaporate to the other side of the wall. If enough water is getting in that you need a weep hole I think something is wrong.

Also, I like to use a high quality latex caulk instead of silicone, for easier access and recaulking as a DIYer. But if I were a pro, I'd probably use silicone for a set and forget result that cures faster.

Jeff H Young and shelzmike like this.