Recaulking shower. Need advice

Users who are viewing this thread

greg dodt

Reaction score
Need some advice. The bottom plastic seal of my shower door ripped off after becoming brittle. I ordered the part and should come in a few days. Took the opportunity of the shower being out of commission to redo caulking since there some small mold spots. Back a few years ago i had slapped some silicone on the shower throughout so at this point, i dont know what the original installer caulked or not. My main question is, do i seal the tile to the bottom of the door rail? I know i cam cover the weep holes above. Im thinking i should. Also, do i caulk the bottom corners where the rail comes just short? I would think yes, but if water gets in the rail and doesnt go thru weep holes, itll go all the way down and be trapped behind the caulked corner. On the flip side, its a big gap to leave uncaulked, even if the outside of it is.

WH8CZyO

https://imgur.com/a/WH8CZyO

rayge

Reaction score
I would not cover the weep holes as they are there for a purpose to let the water on that shower door flow out from wherever it's collecting . I can't see the caulk along the base of the door rail. Maybe it's clear? You at least need a bead of 100% silicon bath and shower caulk along the base of that metal bar where it meets the tile.
I can't see the mold from that picture. I'm about to caulk my tub/shower and had some mold patches on old caulk near the tub spout on which I placed a cloth overnight soaked with bleach.
These videos don't really pertain necessarily to what you are asking but I found that they made sense and were helpful.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks