Cast iron tub shipping?

Users who are viewing this thread

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
My first new Kohler cast iron tub is in shipping. Do they usually come on a skid, or in a crate or?

It's supposed to be -20 for the next couple of days so I'm thinking about how best to deal with the shipping inspection.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You're in Wisconsin, home of Kohler. What do you mean it's being "shipped" to you? When I was installing a lot of those, they came in a crate which allowed it an easier way to carry them in. One time I showed up to a job and the homeowner had bought it, inspected it, and the crate was gone. There is almost no good way to carry a cast iron tub without the crate I found. I normally remove the crate after it's in the bathroom. I need to be able to hole onto the strapping as I carry it, and it also hand trucks better that way.

One interesting thing about those tubs to me was watching them being poured at the factory. The guys were wearing shorts and tea shirts dumping these buckets with molten iron into molds. They wouldn't let me take pictures and I sure wanted to. It was a fun tour.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Thanks Terry; a trucking company is delivering the tub from the warehouse, so I wont be able to inspect it until later. I would hate to haul it into the house and find that it has a chip or scratch. I cant imagine carrying one alone, the shipment is listed at 333 lbs.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
When I was younger I could carry them upstairs with a second person holding the bottom of the crate. I would position it so most of the weight was over my hips. That was then. hj could do it though.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks