Can't turn off the faucet to washing machine

Users who are viewing this thread

JasonM

Reaction score
I can not turn the handle to close the cold line faucet to the washing machine.
I think it has been more than a decade at least to turn the handle to close it.
I cleaned the mineral deposits with the CLR outside stem area, but still it will not turn.

I have 2 questions.

1. If I turn the packing nut (the photo below with the yellow line) a little bit to break the deposit, will it work? Or is there a better way to make this faucet handle turn?

20200212_180919a.jpg

2. Is this faucet using the compression fitting? Or is this faucet using the thread for connection, not compression fitting?

Thank you very much.

Reach4

Reaction score
1. If I turn the packing nut (the photo below with the yellow line) a little bit to break the deposit, will it work? Or is there a better way to make this faucet handle turn?
Maybe loosening that would let you turn without getting a leak. Maybe not.

2. Is this faucet using the compression fitting?
Yes.

You can change that valve out with a sleeve puller. Have a quality quarter turn compression valve ready to go. A little silicone grease or pipe dope on the outside of the new sleeve can make tightening enough easier. Have a new escutcheon standing by too.
https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/compression-fitting-removal-tool.79428/

Your stub does not look long enough to cut the stub. The alternative would be to get a new good solder-on valve, and you would probably want that put on by somebody with enough experience to start a fire.

JasonM

Reaction score
Thank you Reach4 and plumber69 for the comments.

I will try both methods see if they work.
In case I have a problem like water leaking and others when replacing the compression fitting faucet, is there any stopgap measure that I can use like overnight or temporarily so that I can turn on the main?

I am always nervous when replacing the shut-off value with the main line shut-off valve turned off because of the possibility that my working with shut-off valve does not finish in time or has a problem. When I was very inexperienced with plumbing in the past, I had the shut-off valve problem at night with leaking, and that trauma still haunts me.

Thank you very much.

Reach4

Reaction score
If that valve has a garden hose threat output, cap the output with a garden hose cap.
brass-everbilt-brass-fittings-801719-e1_145.jpg

Or instead use a hose-shutoff, if it might be there for a while.
melnor-hose-connectors-repair-395s-c3_145.jpg

Taylorjm

Reaction score
I'm with plumber69. Get a couple big crescent wrenches and take the valve off and replace it with a quarter turn compression valve. Chances are they will swap out. If for some reason they won't swap out, put the old valve back on and turn the water back on until you figure out what to do next. If the new compression won't thread on the old nut, then I think if you can cut the pipe close to the ferrule with a fine tooth hacksaw, take off the old nut and the escutcheon, clean the pipe good with some sandcloth and you should have enough pipe left to thread on the new compression nut that came with the new valve. Maybe after it's all done you might have enough room for one of those two piece lower profile escutcheon or maybe not. Sure it may not look as pretty without the escutcheon but sometimes you have to live with function verses being pretty!

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Dahl-61...n-Red-Blue-Handles-LF-Chrome-Plated-Pack-of-2

Or, if the old valve is stuck open and not leaking, you could always just put another shut off valve after the old valve.

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Dahl-52...-Swivel-Hose-and-Boiler-Drain-Lead-Free-Brass

Last edited:

JasonM

Reaction score
Thank you Reach4 and taylorjm for the comments.
I will buy those parts you mentioned and have it handy.
Thank you very much for the suggestions.

JasonM

Reaction score
I just tried turning the packing nut while holding the body steady with the wrench, and the packing nut did not even budge. I could not force too much for fear of breaking it.

I tried the plumber69 method of using pliers in turning the handle and a hold back wrench, and it worked without using much force.

Thank you very much plumber69.

Plumber69

In the Trades
Reaction score
I just tried turning the packing nut while holding the body steady with the wrench, and the packing nut did not even budge. I could not force too much for fear of breaking it.

I tried the plumber69 method of using pliers in turning the handle and a hold back wrench, and it worked without using much force.

Thank you very much plumber69.
Some of these post get over complicated, Start simple. Don't need a novel on how to shut a valve off

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks