Can't get p-trap to stop leaking?

Users who are viewing this thread

KLRmoose

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Doing a small remodel on my bathroom and replaced the vanity/sink and had to do some plumbing. At first I had a leak at every fitting but I've since replaced the ptrap again with with different brand and the leaks (except 1) have stopped. The one leak that I cant figure out is the slip joint that goes into my 1 1/2 abs pipe to 1 1/4 slip joint adapter leaks. It had a nut with a sealing surface on it but it continued to leak. Replaced the nut with a new one and new washer and it continues to leak. I've hand tightened it and also used a pair of pliers to tighten it but still leaks. The thing that bugs me is the ptrap has a joint/seam where it was formed together and there is a ridge where one side feels higher than the other. I think I may replace the ptrap assembly with another brand.

Also, is it normal to have a lot of water come out when I take apart the ptrap. I dont mean the water in the ptrap itself. I mean like sitting water in my drain. I expect some water but it gets everywhere when I pull apart the ptrap. I guess about a quart of water comes out.

Any advice?

Thanks!

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
1. "At first I had a leak at every fitting but I've since replaced the ptrap again with with different brand and the leaks (except 1) have stopped. The one leak that I cant figure out is the slip joint that goes into..."
- A slip joint needs a plastic cone washer. The narrower side of the washer in the direction of flow.
2. "Also, is it normal to have a lot of water come out when I take apart the ptrap."
- No. You most likely have a stoppage in your drain.

KLRmoose

Reaction score

It wont be until I get off work tomorrow.

1. "At first I had a leak at every fitting but I've since replaced the ptrap again with with different brand and the leaks (except 1) have stopped. The one leak that I cant figure out is the slip joint that goes into..."
- A slip joint needs a plastic cone washer. The narrower side of the washer in the direction of flow.
2. "Also, is it normal to have a lot of water come out when I take apart the ptrap."
- No. You most likely have a stoppage in your drain.

The plastic cone washer is facing the correct direction on every fitting. The sink drain leaked because the rubber washer was threaded and I didnt realize it and I didnt want long enough for the silicone caulking to dry on drain.

The stoppage makes sense. It never backs up in my sink though.

KLRmoose

Reaction score
Got my wife to send me a pic while I'm at work...

txMN1oy.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The order I tighten in is:
The top tailpiece nut
The swivel on the trap
and last the one at the wall.

Or the swivel first and the rest hardly matter.

KLRmoose

Reaction score
The order I tighten in is:
The top tailpiece nut
The swivel on the trap
and last the one at the wall.

Or the swivel first and the rest hardly matter.
I will give that a try when I get home. I've been tightening the swivel on the trap first then everything after that.

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
The plastic tubular drain fittings available these days can be quite shoddy. A ridge or seam
on the pipe can definitely cause a leak. There are slip joint washers available that are made
of softer, more elastomeric material than the typical plastic beveled washers, and they are
dramatically better at making a seal

KLRmoose

Reaction score
The plastic tubular drain fittings available these days can be quite shoddy. A ridge or seam
on the pipe can definitely cause a leak. There are slip joint washers available that are made
of softer, more elastomeric material than the typical plastic beveled washers, and they are
dramatically better at making a seal

Perfect. The plastic does have a joint on it and I was thinking that was the issue. I'm going to look for those washers or find another ptrap that doesnt have the joint on the bottom.

Thanks!

KLRmoose

Reaction score
I tried a new cone washer (I found a rubber one) and it didnt stop the leak. I wrapped the threads in teflon tape and the leak stopped. I know it's not a permanent fix but I have no idea what to do at this point. I also wrapped teflon tape around the sink drain nut and it stopped that leak too. After all of these leaks temporarily fixed the drain stop lever (no idea what you call it) drips.

I looked at buying a 3rd ptrap but it the seams on the top and bottom of the pipe. So I didnt bother buying it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks