Kitchen sink keeps backing up

Users who are viewing this thread

Johnny Rico

Reaction score
I've lived in this townhouse since 2018. A couple years ago the insinkerator would back up into the left sink when used. It wasn't that bad, so I figured I would replace it in the future. I rarely use the insinkerator and I have traps over the drains so food doesn't go down. It has gotten pretty bad now so I decided to change the insinkerator. Taking all the pipes apart I find the p trap and main drain pipe are horribly disgusting and filled with sludge. I got an auger and got everything out of the p-trap and everything I could out of the main drain pipe to the sewer. Now when I run water in the insinkerator on the right sink, it still comes up to the left and leaks at the white slip nut. Can anyone help?

The pic is for reference. I did not re tighten the slip nuts as I am planning to change all the pipes.

Attachments

• 20240219_153904.jpg
    20240219_153904.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 39

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
the pipe that goes through the cabinet has no slope . loosten nuts pick it up tighten nuts and support if nessesary and also you probebly havent cleanned it out well.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
There's no reason to have the copper trap there. It's held in place with a removable no hub coupling. Remove all of that and start over. It looks like the piping could use a hanger or support to hold the trap higher and move the drain pipe higher.

Reach4

Reaction score
There may be a clog in the white pipe or downstream of that.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Id loosten trap raise the trap arm so it has grade (slope) . and tighten the nuts maybe put something under the trap. and of cource clean it out run a snake.
Sure you can replace the trap or the white nut with a black one to purdy it up a bit. you didnt ask for beauty tips though.
the problem is a clogg start by removing trap and make sure its clear and of cource make sure its clear above go from there

Chucky_ott

Reaction score
Is that white pipe painted ABS? Looks like someone spray painted the inside of the cabinet and the pipe.

If it is ABS, I'd clean the end and then use an ABS trap. It probably won't fix your problem but it will make it neater.

Storm rider

Slave to rentals
Reaction score
Ground up is supposed to indicate that it is a switched receptacle, so it actually may be correct that way. As far as I know the latest NEC allows either ground up or ground down. I still install them all ground down, because that's the way I've done it for the last 50 years and I ain't changing now.

Chucky_ott

Reaction score
Well, it needs to be ground down because it will look like a smiley face. And if you try to plug an item in the dark, you don't have to guess how to orient your plug. Just sayin'

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks