Can using pure Olive Oil face soap ("Kiss my Face" brand) clog drains or pipes?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Chapel Hillian, Jun 6, 2018.

1. Chapel Hillian

Chapel Hillian New Member

Hello,

My Dermatologist has recommended I use this soap to wash my face, both in the morning and night.
    (Previously I was using a soap less face cleanser.)

I know that olive oil can clog pipes and drains, so I was wondering if using this Olive Oil face soap twice a day could result in any drain or pipe clogs or other plumbing problems.

I've tried an internet search and wasn't able to find anything about this. I'm very grateful I found your forum.

Thank you!

2. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

I never heard that.
    It will not be a problem.

Animal fats can clog drains. I think most bar soaps are made from animal fats (but I don't have statistics). Soaps made from animal fats don't clog drains, as far as I know.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
    Chapel Hillian likes this.
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Chapel Hillian

5. Chapel Hillian

Thank you so much for your reply! I really appreciate it. (I've been worried about this.)
    Have a wonderful day!

6. WorthFlorida

WorthFlorida The wife is still training me.

Retired
    If the drains are iron or steel, grease and fats can stick to the metal. If a jar full of bacon fat is poured down the drain it can become a problem if continued over time. The amount of fats in soap is so small that it would not be a problem. Soap is water soluble.

Now, olive oil? It’s a vegetable oil and never heard that it can clog drains. It sounds like a myth. Animal fats harden at room temperature, vegetable oils remain a liquid. Soaps and detergents actually break down oils and grease. It’s why we use it to wash things.

7. Chapel Hillian

Thank you so much for your response. That is very reassuring! I appreciate it.
    Have a great day.