Laundry tub backs up - vent is used by water softener

Users who are viewing this thread

Noah L

Reaction score
Hey all,

I was browsing other threads with clogged laundry tub problems and found some information but not what I was looking for in my particular case.

I will preface this with I'm a pretty amateur plumber dude and am unfamiliar with terms you may use, so bear with me.

I have a basement laundry tub, which drains into floor drain. The pipe going down from the laundry tub has a trap below the tub drain, then goes down and there is an angled pipe going back towards the wall which runs up the wall and has a tube coming from the water softener draining into it. These pipes and tube are marked red on the photos I've attached.

My thoughts are, is this angled pipe that catches the overflow (?) from the water softener, supposed to be a vent for the laundry tub drain? And if so, does the fact that it is usually full of water cause it not to allow the tub drain to vent properly causing it to back up and drain slow?

Would it be better if I just drained the water softener tube into the wash tub, and made sure this vent pipe was empty?

Let me know if I need to clarify anything, like I said I'm not too well versed in this stuff.

Thanks!
Noah

Screenshot_20211231-152404_Layout.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks