Can someone tell me how this was installed? (Toilet Flange)

Users who are viewing this thread

ben5243

Reaction score
I ripped up my tile floor and found that the toilet flange was never concreted back in and the toilet has been held down by nothing but the pipe for ~45 years.

I've read up on how to fix it so my plan was to cut the flange off, install a longer 3" pipe .... and so on

Looking at it a bit closer I have no idea what's going on here. It appears there's some kind of cut on the outside but I can't see much. I don't see any kind of joint or connection. The inside has a step in it where the OD is wider for maybe 1/4" almost like it has a coupler already. But then here is some type of tar or sealant all over (or maybe that's just what the cement looks like after 45 years)

I'm not sure I can cut the pipe that far down and add a coupler. What type of closet flange is this? Does it have a coupler already?

c4jsjXS.jpg

SaHphwr.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
Looks like an ABS glued in closet flange with a painted steel ring. Whether it was never anchored properly or the wood rotted away, I don't know. Maybe some of both.

Consider a PASCO 21013 or Superior 21015. These are repair rings with mounting tabs outside. They would take over the job of holding the toilet down.
red_ring_repair_1.jpg

You can use lead anchors, or Tapcons. There are some stainless steel Tapcon screws, but the non-stainless blue kind are pretty-well protected from corrosion.

You implied that your house is on a slab. You could add some mortar if not enough ears have a place to screw into. IMO, in that picture, the repair ring would still be secure if the top and bottom screws in the picture were missing.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks