Can I use two regulators?

Users who are viewing this thread

Scott Roberts

Reaction score
Hi, I just bought a home that I think has an unique situation. An unregulated main comes into my basement and splits into two sides. One side services the internal home plumbing ie bathrooms, kitchen etc. and the the other side services the irrigation bids outside the house. The side that services the internal home has a regulator on it set to 50psi. The irrigation side is unregulated. Directly coming off the unregulated main I have installed a Phyn main water controller. Problem, the city just bumped up the service pressure to 142 which doesn't effect the internal home but the Phyn controller will now not work at this high pressure.
Question: Can I install a second regulator before the Phyn device? This will put two regulators in series for the internal home service.
Thank you

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
If you mean two regulators in parallel then yes. You can have one regulator for the house and one for the irrigation.

Or you could put one regulator on the main line before the meter device, then tee off after the meter. A regulator on one line of the tee would feed the house with less pressure than the meter device and irrigation direct from the tee.

Scott Roberts

Reaction score
Hi, thanks for the response. If I understand it correctly then I will have two regulators leading to the house service both set at 50psi and with no problem.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
In series one regulator would go before the metering device and be set high, like to run the sprinklers. Then after the metering device you would have a tee with one side going directly to the sprinklers, and the other side would have the second regulator and be turned down to the pressure you want in the house.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
never heard of pkyn water controller or what that does . However 140 psi kind of high even for irrigation . If you check with watts brass they will tell you in higher pressures 2 regulators is helpful in extending life I would say put one regulater set at ? lets say 100 then put your fancy controller valve then irrigation tee then second reg set at your desired 50 psi for house so irigation has 100 house 50 Im assuming you want more pressure at irigation.
The other method involves only one regulator relocated at other side of pkyn controller . Providing water at 50 psi or whatever to all systems. BTW Got fire sprinks?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks