Can I use a kitchen sink to wet vent a tub?

Users who are viewing this thread

Jona77

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a kitchen sink+dishwasher in my kitchen with its own vent stack through the roof.

I have a bathtub that currently is not vented.

I read in the canadian plumbing code "trap arms can be up to 2.4M on 2 inch pipe" and "wet vents have no length restriction" so if I run my tub drain under the floor less than 2.4M and into the 2" kitchen sink drain that leads to the primary waste stack is that cool?

It's a bungalow they're on the same floor. this rigamarole would go on in the basement between the joists.

I also would like to have my sump pump discharge into this drain if possible

Stuff

Reaction score
Doesn't sound right. Normally you can't combine a kitchen and bath for wet venting. Sump pump discharge not allowed since on different floor.

Jona77

Reaction score
Doesn't sound right. Normally you can't combine a kitchen and bath for wet venting. Sump pump discharge not allowed since on different floor.

sump pump discharge has its own vent so it would just be sharing the 2" drain with the kitchen/tub. I have space to connect it either before or after the tub connection.
I'm more worried about the tub wet vent. The tub drain currently has at LEAST 3+ meters of trap arm before it gets to the main drain/vent stack and doesn't seem to have an issues.

Is there a specific rule in any code book that says don't wet vent through a kitchen sink or only wet vent within a bathroom? I don't see it in the canadian code

Stuff

Reaction score
Most places don't allow a sump pump to drain to sewer and don't recommend to a septic system so question doesn't come up often. If allowed connect after last fixture that needs vented.

UPC - Any combination of fixtures within two bathroom groups located on the same floor level is permitted to be vented by a horizontal wet vent.
UPC - Any combination of fixtures within two bathroom groups located on the same floor level is permitted to be vented by a vertical wet vent.

IPC - Any combination of fixtures within two bathroom groups located on the same floor level are permitted to be vented by a horizontal wet vent.
IPC - A combination of fixtures located on the same floor level are permitted to be vented by a vertical wet vent.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
As I understand it, a wet vent is only allowed within a bathroom group, so from a bathroom to a kitchen would not be allowed. Don't know about Canada.

Justin Fredenburg

Reaction score
If your asking if it will work then yes it will lol will it be legal or pass inspection then no......that vent would also have to be tied in 6” above the highest fixture in the bathroom (usually a vanity) so that’s most likely not doable, but allowing any air to that tub will help it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks