Can I fix an offset flange with a Hydro Seat?

Users who are viewing this thread

Brendan Simons

Reaction score
My toilet kept clogging past the trap, so I removed it to figure out what was up. Sure enough, the installer used one of those garbage oblong offset flanges that cuts off half the pipe area. Photo attached.

The worst party is I have no idea why the used an offset flange. It actually pushes the toilet closer to the wall (the rough-in is about 13.5 inches from the wall, which I could live with)

I could try to remove the flange with a hole saw, chisel and some prayers, but I wondered if I couldn't try to make the flange "concentric" again using a repair flange like Danco's Hydro Seat. https://www.danco.com/product/hydroseat-flange-repair/

It might take some ugly wax ring sculpting to seal, but it could work. What do you think?

IMG_20170830_234220.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Highlander

Reaction score
Can you see what's under the floor? Sometimes those offset flanges are used as a compromise when there's a joist in the way of a perfectly positioned drain.

Brendan Simons

Reaction score
Can you see what's under the floor? Sometimes those offset flanges are used as a compromise when there's a joist in the way of a perfectly positioned drain.

Can't see under (finished ceiling below), but the toilet will fit when centered over the pipe, so it's not obvious why they went to the trouble of offsetting it back and to the right (creating a clog machine at the same time).

Reach4

Reaction score
I wondered if I couldn't try to make the flange "concentric" again using a repair flange like Danco's Hydro Seat.
That sounds worth a try. If you end up busting out concrete, having tried the Hydroseat would not make that job harder.

I used to think that the norm was to also put wax above the Hydroseat, but I now understand they intend that the toilet just comes down on the rubber. I was thinking that the toilet outputs were not that uniform, and I am still wondering about that part.

I am not a pro.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It appears the reason they used it was to shift the bowl back, but also a bit to the right, possibly to meet the 15" to center from the side wall requirement.

Reach4

Reaction score
If you had a 4 inch pipe and you wanted an offset flange, the Sioux Chief 889GPOM PVC Push Tite closet flange looks nice. It can pass a 3 inch ball.

I doubt you have a 4 inch ID pipe there.

Brendan Simons

Reaction score
I think it's a 3" pipe with a socket fitting because I can't see the edge (a 4" inside fitting would have a lip getting larger) http://plasticoddities.com/offset-closet-flanges/

I picked up a HydroSeat today anyway in case it works (and also a new closet flange in case it doesn't). I'll report back on how installation goes.

One worrysome bit - the HydroSeat rubber gasket has a pretty small ID, less than 3". Ordinarily I'd worry about that passing solids, but it comes pretty well recommended so maybe it's OK?

Reach4

Reaction score
Your toilet very probably has an exit less than 2.5 inches.

Brendan Simons

Reaction score
OK, I spent more time thinking and posting here than doing the job .

I bought two wax rings. I molded one down into the offset flange's "shelf" so that it filled the offset and came up level with the flange. I put the second one on top and then pressed down the hydroseat. Took a look, and it seemed to seal everywhere, so I drilled through the tile and bolted it down. 30 mins to install, another 30 mins to install the toilet. Seems to be holding for now.

Thanks for the feedback

Attachments

• IMG_20170831_153433.jpg
    IMG_20170831_153433.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 675
  • IMG_20170831_153951.jpg
    IMG_20170831_153951.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 970
  • IMG_20170831_162140.jpg
    IMG_20170831_162140.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 663
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks