Can an American Standard Champion 4 be converted?

Users who are viewing this thread

Mark SC

Reaction score
I bought and installed an American Standard Champion 4 with the 1.2 (?) gallon flush. I'm not happy with it because the flush valve needs changing and it doesn't have enough flushing power. I was going to change the flush valve but the fill hose is a different size than the universal kit uses, which I can always find a piece of hose that will work. I won't to convert it to a 1.6 standard flush if possible. Is there a kit out there to change it? There is at least 3" of water under the flapper that is not being used. Any help would be appreciated. I really don't want to buy a whole toilet if I can avoid it.

champion-4-flush-valve-1.jpg

champion-4-flush-valve-seal-instructions.jpg

Changing the seal.

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If this is a two piece toilet where the tank bolts to the bowl there is a solution.
Korky makes a 3" flapper flush valve replacement that works on the Champion.
I would pick up their kit that has a fill valve by Korky too. You will then be able to use more of the water in the tank.

korky-3-flush-valve.jpg

Mark SC

Reaction score
So..., basically, I have to take the tank completely off before installation of this kit. I thought it came with a 4". I could be wrong. I'll admit I haven't taken a close look, but I will when I get home. Thanks for the response!

I just realized there's another whole forum for toilets.

Samat

Reaction score
Check to see if it has an adjustable flapper. My cadet pro had a adjustable flapper and after adjusting to max it works perfect. Never have to double flush.

Marlinman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Champion has a universal flush valve that you can set to 1.28 to 1.6. Part #3174.105-0070A. You will also need the tank to bowl kit # 738756-0070

champion-flush-valve-kit.jpg

index.php

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks