Can a brine tank be too small?

Users who are viewing this thread

JOHN P MORTON

Reaction score
Hi folks, quick question. I just had a 45,000-grain softener installed, and the brine tank that came with it was too big for the space. I've replaced it with one that's 11" square and about the same height as the old one. Is this OK, or could I be damaging the unit? What should I be looking for?

Thanks in advance!

Paul J Burkhardt

Reaction score
The smaller brine tank should work just fine.

Basically, a brine tank is just a container to hold the salt that the water softener needs to regenerate its water softener resin. Using a smaller sized brine tank should only mean that you will have to fill the tank more often.

Reach4

Reaction score
See https://view.publitas.com/impact-water-products/2018-catalog-final/page/132
Will you have a salt grid on the bottom? The salt grid would help with a small brine tank.

The question is, will the brine fill be cut off by the float? I think you will want to adjust the float as high as you can, consistent with the brine flowing out of the hole in the side. Water in the brine tube will rise higher than the fill level.

Bannerman

Reaction score
Your 45,000 grain softener will likely contain 1.5 ft3 of resin. For that size softener, the Capacity setting between regeneration cycles will be typically programmed to 36,000 grains which will utilize an efficient 12 lbs salt per cycle. To dissolve 12 lbs salt will require 4 gallons water to enter the brine tank each cycle.

Does placing 4 gallons water into the brine tank while filled with salt cause the fluid to overflow out of the tank overflow fitting (if equipped) or cause the safety float to be lifted? If so, the Capacity setting could be reduced to 31,000 grains which will need only 9 lbs salt, lowering the Brine Fill requirement to 3 gallons.

An alternate method to allow a higher Capacity setting with a small brine tank is to equip the brine tank with a salt grid. This is a perforated platform that raises the salt above the bottom of the tank, permiting a substantial portion of the water to remain below the salt where it will not be displaced by salt. With less displacement, the fluid height will remain lower and so less likely to overflow or lift the safety float.

Edit:. As per the chart linked above, an 11" square brine tank is shown suitable for a softener containing only 1 ft3 resin while using an 8 lb salt setting. Adding a salt grid will increase the suitability to 1.5 ft3 resin, but only while using maximum 9 lbs (6 lbs/ft3) salt per cycle.

Last edited:

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
The smaller brine tank should work just fine.

Basically, a brine tank is just a container to hold the salt that the water softener needs to regenerate its water softener resin. Using a smaller sized brine tank should only mean that you will have to fill the tank more often.
Incorrect. Salt displaces about 1/2 its volume in water so a brine tank that can hold 10 gallons of water empty will only hold 5 gallons when it is full of salt. Brine tanks can definitely be too small. A salt grid can be used to help a smaller brine tank work with a larger system, but that has it's obvious limits.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks