California lead law - new faucets

Users who are viewing this thread

C_roll

Reaction score
I'm replacing a faucet in my kitchen and noticed that California now requires (as of 2010) all faucets be lead free. I purchased mine in 2009 - it doesn't comply with the new code. Does anyone have any experience with this? Are the building inspectors enforcing it?

Thanks

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
It is not legal to offer for sale in California a leaded faucet. You have a faucet you purchased previously, legally; it would take a major buttnik inspector to give you grief, but I can't guarantee it.

By the way, to my knowledge no one has ever developed any lead poisoning from their faucet, I don't know if they science ever proved that lead was routinely leaching out of brass faucets, only that it COULD.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The Feds are working on making a version of the CA law universal. And as a sidebar, the Department of Energy has changed the ruling on shower heads to define them as ONE shower head to a shower stall, OR only ONE shower head can be activated at a time. They inserted the definition into the code without discussion and the manufacturers only discovered it after reading the code. It is up for debate soon, and they are trying to get it reversed.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks