Buying a Toto Drake CST744SL; Best Replacement Fill Valve?

Users who are viewing this thread

Reach4

Reaction score
I replaced this valve post in my toilet, and it's seeping a little water down onto the floor and into the crawl space now. I couldn't tighten the connector tight enough at the time ( it's plastic and didn't want to break it ) and thought I had it, but it's seeping again.

Does this connector need teflon tape on it? Is that what I should have done?
I think you are referring to the bottom of the new fill valve.

No tape. Some silicone grease (not sealant or adhesive) is useful on the gasket and even the threads. Very lightly. It is common to replace the supply line when replacing the fill valve.

Do you know if the leak is from the connector line or where the new piece comes through the tank? If it is at the connector, the drip will stop if you turn off the stop valve.

Melissa2007B

Reaction score
I think you are referring to the bottom of the new fill valve.

No tape. Some silicone grease (not sealant or adhesive) is useful on the gasket and even the threads. Very lightly. It is common to replace the supply line when replacing the fill valve.

Do you know if the leak is from the connector line or where the new piece comes through the tank? If it is at the connector, the drip will stop if you turn off the stop valve.

I just put a photo into the post I did today. Cant replace the line because it's PEX and I know nothing about that. That's why I want to be SUPER careful not to break the connector, or it could cost us $600 for a plumber. I have some silicone grease in my gun cleaning stuff. A small can of automotive, I think.

Reach4

Reaction score
I would make sure that was PEX, which is precisely 5/8 diameter. I would cut the PEX just below the existing valve. Replace the escucheon. Push on a SharkBite 23037-0000LF. Actually, I might attach my new flex connector to the valve before pushing it onto the PEX.

The new connector line would be a "3/8 compression" size at the bottom. That is the most common size.

You would then have a better 1/4 turn stop valve, and new stuff including a nice escucheon.

Last edited:

Melissa2007B

Reaction score
I would make sure that was PEX, which is precisely 5/8 diameter. I would cut the PEX just below the existing valve. Replace the escucheon. Push on a SharkBite 23037-0000LF. Actually, I might attach my new flex connector to the valve before pushing it onto the PEX.

The new connector line would be a "3/8 compression" size at the bottom. That is the most common size.

You would then have a better 1/4 turn stop valve, and new stuff including a nice escucheon.

Plumbing is like working on my car. I replace my plugs and air filter, but when it gets deeper than that, I'm hesitant to do it. In this case, I'd be afraid that if I messed up, I'd be without a toilet. I don't know how to work on regular copper plumbing, yet alone this PEX stuff. This is the first house we've ever had, that has it.

And as far as it being PEX, I don't even know for sure, that it is. It doesn't say anything on it. It looks to be about 5/8". What else could it be?

But I don't think I have the tools to work on that anyway, unless it can be done with common tools.

Melissa2007B

Reaction score
We found a good affordable handyman and he just came over and used some teflon on that connector - says he's done this before and its worked. Somehow that connector loosened up a little, since I tightened it down when I changed the valve assembly. He said he loosened it with his fingers, which was why it had started seeping. Time will tell now...

Melissa2007B

Reaction score
The teflon helped some but this appears to be an intermittent thing, and judging by the rust on that floor plate, it's been going on for a very long time covertly, without actually seeping out onto the floor and becoming alarming. It seems to be being caused by the slight downward pressure of sitting on the toilet, against that connector. How weird. Can it be solved inexpensively?

Reach4

Reaction score
The teflon helped some but this appears to be an intermittent thing, and judging by the rust on that floor plate, it's been going on for a very long time covertly, without actually seeping out onto the floor and becoming alarming. It seems to be being caused by the slight downward pressure of sitting on the toilet, against that connector. How weird. Can it be solved inexpensively?

$0.61 and up. Escutcheon for 1/2 inch CTS. Choose for decor.
$9.72 SharkBite 23037-0000LF
$5.45 BrassCraft Speedi Plumb Plus "B1-16DL F" 3/8 in. compression inlet x 7/8 in. ballcock Nut outlet x 16 in. Choose length based on need.
$24.10 Milwaukee 48-22-4202 PEX cutter (a splurge on better tool), or cut some other way, such as with a lesser cutter.

Prices may vary. Sales tax not included.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks