Buying a Toto Drake CST744SL; Best Replacement Fill Valve?

Users who are viewing this thread

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
The valve is not hard to replace, but the cap is easier and you've already taken the valve apart, so you're in familiar territory.

Just get the R528 cap and try replacing it. Also make sure that the float moves freely when you reinstall(ed) it.

Melissa2007B

Reaction score
The valve is not hard to replace, but the cap is easier and you've already taken the valve apart, so you're in familiar territory.

Just get the R528 cap and try replacing it. Also make sure that the float moves freely when you reinstall(ed) it.

But SHOULD that solve the problem?

Does anyone know what actually causes it to refill in jumps like this? It does fill-stop-fill-stop...until it reaches the set level, then it stops. It doesn't "run on", or anything like that.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
FIrst, make sure that the float is properly installed...it should easily move up and down when the water is not pushing on it (i.e., the tank is low and the water is off).

The higher your water pressure and the more chemicals your water supplier uses, the shorter the life of the seal in the cap. I'd try replacing the cap, and if it doesn't fix your problem, take it off and save it for the new valve when it comes time to replace it's cap. The membrane in the cap is fairly thin. When new, it's a smooth dome. When old, it takes a set of the mating surface, and eventually, will crack. I think I may have an old one sitting around, and if I see it, I'll take a picture and show you a used one that has failed. Regardless, with no tools, it's all of about a couple of minutes to replace the cap once you've figured out how it comes apart. Korky has a video on their website that shows how to replace it.

Reach4

Reaction score
Does anyone know what actually causes it to refill in jumps like this? It does fill-stop-fill-stop...until it reaches the set level, then it stops. It doesn't "run on", or anything like that.
I can't actually picture the flaw which would cause this stop start. I would like to read such a theory.

Reach4

Reaction score
I could take a video so you could hear it.
I was trying to say that I can't actually picture how either a bad rubber cap or a sticking float would cause this stop- start of the flow.

Something that has not been mentioned, after the initial question from Melissa, is the filter tube discussed at 1:15 in this video:
I can't see how that could cause this symptom.

And another thing that I might check is the water pressure. And again, I can't picture how high pressure could cause the start-stop-start symptom.

It would be nice to check each thing and be able to say what the problem turns out to be. We would like to know. But from a get-er-done point of view, replacing the fill valve changes everything in the fill valve.

Melissa2007B

Reaction score
Like Jim says -- the 528MP "Platinum" MaxPerformance fill valve is the best value -- if you need a new one. You may not. I have fixed mine by following this video and chucking the cap rather than rinsing it as shown in the video. The cap is a couple of bucks, and widely available. Google for R528. That's the model number of the cap.

Is the R528 cap the right one for the blue top valve I have?

Jadnashua

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that Korky only has one repair cap for their various versions. Go to their website, you can find parts and a video on how to replace it there.

Melissa2007B

Reaction score
OK, I went to Home Depot and all they had was the Platinum valve, and they didn't even have the R528. ( as usual - most of the trips I ever make there are a waste of time ) :confused:

So I found the 528T online and was thinking of just getting it over with and ordering that, but you know how sometimes, you get this weird sixth sense about something? :cool:

So I went back and drained and opened up the toilet again, took everything out, down to the filter, and looked at it and cleaned it all again. This time I was able to get the filter to slide up in there effortlessly, by just changing the rotation a little. Not sure if that had anything to do with this problem, but...I cleaned it again too. Then I re-cleaned the housing it was in, and put that back, then the float, and made sure it was nice and loose, and the cap.

The toilet works fine now, I've flushed it a few times and it worked fine each time. So go figure, huh? That old saying; If it works, don't fix it? ;)

Thanks everybody. :)

Follow up 10-31: It went back to the same old problem, though not as bad. So...( see next post )

Last edited by a moderator:

Melissa2007B

Reaction score
I mentioned having contacted Korky about whether the cap was the same. They were nice to reply:

Good morning,

Thank you for your email. Yes, it may need to be serviced. Is your unit a blue
G-Max? if so, then you can service the unit and purchase the cap assembly from
Home Depot.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Korky-Toilet-Fill-Valve-Replacement-Cap-R528CM/20266

below is a link on how to service the unit, if indeed, it is a G-Max fill valve
or Korky.

( fun video )

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you very much,
Tara Petrozelli
Customer Service Rep.
Lavelle Industries, Inc.
PH: (800)528-3553
Fax: (262)763-5607

So with that in mind, their link says that Home Depot DOES sell the R528. So I checked local stock and found 3 at the store near me, where they told me they didn't have them yesterday. I just went back, armed with a printed page from the site, and found them myself.

So I brought it home and changed it just now. Before this, I guess I didn't have a comparison between the old and new ones. The PROBLEM was that the rubber gasket on the old one was actually STUCK to the top if the piece below the cap! Ack! SO I just peeled it out and changed to the new one, put it back together, turned the water on, and...the toilet didn't refill at all! What the...???!

SO I opened it up again, took the new cap out, and pulled the rubber gasket up a little, with my fingernail, just to see, then put it back, and it started refilling again, but VERY slow - maybe taking 4-5 times as long as the tank refills before. Anyone have any idea why? I'm stuck with a very slow filling toilet now, and I don't like sitting around waiting, if you get my drift.

Korky%20R528%20caps.jpg

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Check your water pressure. Your picture is what an older cap will look like after awhile. Eventually, it will crack and won't shut off. This will happen sooner if your water pressure is high. What ends up happening is the level has to rise a little higher to exert enough pressure to make it shut off, molding the seal to the surface underneath. Prior to that, it takes awhile for the seal to pry itself away from the rest of the cap, and that can cause the water to start and stop until it eventually gets pressed hard enough to keep it off. It can also delay the water from starting up after flushing. Once you notice that, pick up a new seal for when it gets annoying or totally fails. That can be anywhere from a year or maybe even less, to 4-5 years or more.

Melissa2007B

Reaction score
Check your water pressure. Your picture is what an older cap will look like after awhile. Eventually, it will crack and won't shut off. This will happen sooner if your water pressure is high. What ends up happening is the level has to rise a little higher to exert enough pressure to make it shut off, molding the seal to the surface underneath. Prior to that, it takes awhile for the seal to pry itself away from the rest of the cap, and that can cause the water to start and stop until it eventually gets pressed hard enough to keep it off. It can also delay the water from starting up after flushing. Once you notice that, pick up a new seal for when it gets annoying or totally fails. That can be anywhere from a year or maybe even less, to 4-5 years or more.

The water pressure was actually too high for the first several years after we built & bought the house in 2004, then we had a regulator put in. But this was the original part, so that may explain it. Thanks! :)

Come to think of it, it actually lasted a long time, being the new warranty is 5 years. And I like that Korky lets you change just the cap and not the whole valve, as I have no experience with the adjustments. Thanks Korky! :)

Jadnashua

Reaction score
The float and the cap's seal are the only moving parts in the valve...the float should last forever, the seal in the cap won't. Many, not all, toilet fill valves can be repaired, and many people end up changing the whole thing not realizing it can easily be repaired. Fluidmaster valves also have a replaceable seal. The Korky design turns off 'softer', and is less likely to cause a water hammer, but they are both good. You need to ensure you get one that can get the tank/bowl fill ratios right, or you're going to either waste a lot of water, or get it so it won't flush well..

Melissa2007B

Reaction score
The float and the cap's seal are the only moving parts in the valve...the float should last forever, the seal in the cap won't. Many, not all, toilet fill valves can be repaired, and many people end up changing the whole thing not realizing it can easily be repaired. Fluidmaster valves also have a replaceable seal. The Korky design turns off 'softer', and is less likely to cause a water hammer, but they are both good. You need to ensure you get one that can get the tank/bowl fill ratios right, or you're going to either waste a lot of water, or get it so it won't flush well..

Yeah well, this one is fine AND dandy now ( as George Carlin used to say ) , and fills in about 20 seconds. Very nice. Thanks all! :)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks