Built-in Whirlpool Heater need wall mount switch?

Users who are viewing this thread

mnRemodeler

Reaction score
The whirlpool tub I'm installing has an inline heater built-in. I ran a separate 20amp GFI for it.

I did some checking and learned that it keeps the water temperature at 104 degrees which is the same as a hot tub. Apparently it has no thermostat that can be manually set. Its preset to 104. To say that I'm a little ticked off is to put it mildly.

So...what I'm wondering is if I should run a wall mount switch for that outlet so that I have the option of disabling that heater for people who don't care for the hotter temps? I'm assuming there is no pump in the heater and that the heater does not need to be turned on for the rest of the tub to work properly?

Last edited:

mnRemodeler

Reaction score
I can't see any reason the switch isn't a good idea. It would be far enough away that they couldn't reach it from the tub.

Reach4

Reaction score
Usually an air switch is used for control from the tub. Try this search on a search engine:
"air switch" "air button" tub

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
How is the pump turned on/off? How does the heater get activated? It might also be possible to change the thermostat to an adjustable one, and it might have an off position.

mnRemodeler

Reaction score
The heater automatically comes on when it detects water flow. The pump turns on or off when they hit a button. It does have a low water sensor that prevents the pump from running until the jets are covered.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The heater must have a thermostat (aquastat) to prevent it from overheating the water. If you can locate that, all you would need to do is to put a low-voltage switch (assuming it's a 'snap' type control) to simulate that it is either opened or closed, depending. Usually, that signal would go into a controller that activated a contactor, or electronic switch that turned the heat on. Breaking that control line is safer than dealing with controlling 240vac at high current, IF you can find it, and IF it is actually a low-voltage control line. Without a schematic or being there to see how it is done, hard to say for sure. You could use a strap-on aquastat that is adjustable in series with what's there, and that would allow you to make it cooler, or disable it entirely if low enough. WIth low voltage stuff, you don't need to worry about frying yourself in the tub.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks