Building a showerpan

Users who are viewing this thread

Robyray

Reaction score
IMG_1914.JPG
Im planning on building a shower pan and this is my drain do i need to concrete it in or can i fill in with gravel and sand the horizontal p trap is just temporary drain will be straight up thanks in advance

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Set the trap and riser (use glued trap), fill with sand up to 2" below grade, then pour slush (sand, water and cement) and level it... this will give you a solid base around the drain.

What are you going to use for waterproofing?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Is the riser where you want it? If not, I suggest that you get rid of that 180-degree bend! Well, suggest you get rid of that anyways.

There are numerous ways to build an industry standard shower...it's not hard, but is very detail oriented. If you haven't looked at a surface membrane verses a 'conventional', liner shower pan, you should consider it. Been around now for about 30-years, and IMHO, much better than a conventional shower. At least a couple of manufacturers, but Schluter and Laticrete both have good ones...Schluter's has been around much longer and has a larger amount of accessories to handle various situations, but both are quite good.

Suggest you check out www.johnbridge.com for help in constructing your shower. Ask your plumbing questions here, though.

Robyray

Reaction score
Set the trap and riser (use glued trap), fill with sand up to 2" below grade, then pour slush (sand, water and cement) and level it... this will give you a solid base around the drain.

What are you going to use for waterproofing?
I will be attempting to do a prepitch then a liner then another sloped motar layer then redguard the riser is the drain itself right and the bottom of it needs to be flush with floor right thanks

Robyray

Reaction score
Is the riser where you want it? If not, I suggest that you get rid of that 180-degree bend! Well, suggest you get rid of that anyways.

There are numerous ways to build an industry standard shower...it's not hard, but is very detail oriented. If you haven't looked at a surface membrane verses a 'conventional', liner shower pan, you should consider it. Been around now for about 30-years, and IMHO, much better than a conventional shower. At least a couple of manufacturers, but Schluter and Laticrete both have good ones...Schluter's has been around much longer and has a larger amount of accessories to handle various situations, but both are quite good.

Suggest you check out www.johnbridge.com for help in constructing your shower. Ask your plumbing questions here, though.
You mean something like redguard or hydroban ive thought of just using one of those instead of a liner but was worried that they not work as good as a liner

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Don't forget to consider a fiberglass shower pan. They can last 50 yrs or more.

About the drain riser: make sure you position it in the right place BEFORE you pour your cement mix, if you go with a shower pan.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
While a liquid applied membrane can work, IMHO, it is a lot harder to get them applied properly...it takes more than just painting it on. Each coat must be between the min/max without pinholes, runs. Too thick is as bad as too thin both in total thickness and individual layers plus, you have to wait longer before you can flood test or tile than a sheet. It's a bit tricky to get the waterproofing tied into the drain when painting on the waterproofing. Go to www.schluter.com and watch some of their videos on Kerdi...Laticrete's system is similar, but doesn't have as comprehensive videos.

I'm talking about Schluter's Kerdi membrane or Laticrete's Hydroban sheet (not their liquid). On both of those systems, you make a single mudbed (or use one of their preformed foam pans), along with their proprietary drain, and then cover everything with the sheet membrane to include the walls. Both of them will work just fine if you make your walls out of plain drywall since the membrane has been tested and approved to make a totally waterproof enclosure. You can use other things like cement board along with a few other tested substrates, but it isn't necessary. The nice thing about using drywall is that the sheets are larger, easier to cut, and less expensive. If you want to avoid putting up the sheet membrane on a wall, Schluter has a waterproof, tileable foam core board that you can use on the walls. You only then need to cover the screw anchors and seams to make it totally waterproof and save putting up drywall or cement board. There are advantages to making a waterproof shower verses a water resistant one (all showers have a waterproof pan, but most do not have waterproof walls).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks