Bryant NG Gas Valve Assembly problem

Users who are viewing this thread

boober

Reaction score
I have a ~20 year old Bryant High Efficiency NG furnace. It ran fine for the first few weeks of winter, but last week it went out. I tested all the standards, but it but couldn't find anything wrong. I traced to to an ignition failure where the gas valve would click, but it had no flame and it would go into ignition failure mode.

I had an HVAC come out and check it, but of course, it worked fine while he was here. He checked the flame sensor, and that tested fine as did the ignitor. He did say it might be a bad control board, but that was $500, and it seems illogical to spend that on an old furnace. I'm hoping to make it through winter before replacing it next summer. To test out his hunch, I bought a new board ($100) and installed it, but it didn't seem to help. I did find, however, that when I wiggle the blue wire on the top of the valve control, it starts. Sometimes, it take a couple of wiggles, but generally once it's started, it keeps going. I checked and the wire seems to have continuity, and I tried cleaning the connect with some emery paper. Any other suggestions on this?

I don't plan on doing a full valve replacement on a furnace this old, but it sure would be nice to get it working for the rest of the winter... any ideas or suggestions?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks