Broken soldered drain line

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by diyortry, Oct 11, 2020.

1. diyortry

diyortry New Member

So I have this bathroom sink with a broken drain line. It appears to be soldered to the wall, just my luck. I’m a figure it out as I go DYIer, but don’t want to get in over my head.

Is there an easy fix with some sort of modification here or should or should I just bite the bullet and call a plumber?

Attached Files:

2. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

Can you remove that escutcheon? If so, what is the OD of that pipe?

I am thinking you may be able to get a shielded coupling to connect there to a new trap arm or a trap adapter. You would cut the pipe to give the coupling enough to grab.

If you don't have a vernier caliper or a digital caliper yet, it's time to get a digital caliper.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. diyortry

diyortry New Member

Thanks for the reply. I’m gonna have to google digital caliper to see what one is! Would I cut it before or after the soldered area? With a hacksaw?

5. diyortry

diyortry New Member

Not sure if these photos show anything more that would be useful.

Attached Files:

6. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

If you measure 1.625 out of the wall, a Fernco 3010-150 (1-1/2" Copper to 1-1/2" Tubular) would connect to the trap arm of a 1.5 inch slip p-trap.[​IMG] If you measure 1.500, then it would be model 3002-155. I would consider going chrome-plated brass on the trap, but plastic may work.[​IMG]
    17 gauge is as heavy as you will find, and 22 is thinnest. 20 gauge is in between.
    [​IMG]You would want a washer that could go onto the 1-1/2 p-trap and accept the 1-1/4 inch lavatory tailpiece.

[​IMG]

This digital caliper is new to me, but may be good.
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/WEN-6-1...-LCD-Readout-and-Storage-Case-10761/306638595 Click Inbox, above.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2021
  7. James Henry

James Henry In the Trades

Plumber
  8. diyortry

diyortry New Member

Thanks guys and sorry for my poor spelling!