Breaking free rusted pipes

Users who are viewing this thread

Greenmonster123

Reaction score
IMG_2699.JPG
Hey all I need to remove the tee in the picture. I anticipate it being a challenge. I have a oxy/act torch, large pipe wrenches, length of 3" steel pipe for cheater bar, and an mini excavator. Does anyone have any tricks for freeing these connections up? I had one guy tell me to get it red hot then dump water on it but I am not so sure, I don't want to crack anything.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
You really need a chain tong. A pipe wrench will egg shape the nipples and make them hard to remove. You can usually use a pipe wrench on the tee as it is thicker and doesn't egg as bad. Heat the tee and cool the nipple.

Get a chain tong for a backup on the nipple this side of the flow meter. Then stick a cheater in the end of of the open pipe with the flanges on it. Lift the cheater and turn the tee 1/2 turn to the left. This will loosen the tee from the flow meter pipe without needing the pipe wrench. Then move the chain tong to the nipple before the flanges and remove the two nipples and flanges. Then the tee will already be a little lose when you have to finish turning it to the left with the pipe wrench.

Also be surprised how much warming it up with just a hammer will help. I had a customer in the oil field one time that claimed he could unscrew any pipe from a fitting with just a hammer. If you beat on it enough with a hammer it will eventually come loose. He proved it to me several times. :)

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
Not just any hammer. Ball peen hammer.

I had an uncle hammer. He had a garage like Goobers in Mayberry. Before he did anything, out came the ball pein hammer. Surprised a lot of people with it! Get an Estwing 3# ball pein. Best tool ever made. And no laws about concealed carry to worry about if you keep it under the seat of your truck.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks