Dealing with galvanized in a tight space

Users who are viewing this thread

EricE

Reaction score
I've did quite a bit of searching in the forums here (awesome resource) but I haven't found anything that really addresses my situation. I'm looking for options in dealing with galvanized in a tight space - under a tub on slab where the pipe is below slab. Thankfully there is a rather large cut out area in the slab and I can see all the plumbing but it is in a pretty tight space. If I need to go down I could always dig I suppose :)

I'm also looking more for a discussion of ideas so I can be informed in finding a qualified plumber to take this on, unless someone has some solution that really moves the needle.

Basically there is brass for the overflow and drain that goes to a cast iron p-trap. From the cast iron p-trap there is a 19" or so piece of galvanized (actually two - the original galvanized pipe then I guess an extra nipple to extend out; looks like the rough in was off by 3 inches) that then goes in to cast iron for the rest of the drains.

Amazingly there isn't any corrosion or rust on the outside of any of the pipes, tub connections or connections to the main stack. All the seals are good - I can see threads in the cast iron and galvanized. Thank goodness for the dry desert air keeping external corrosion to a minimum.

My main issue is I don't see how to get a regular wrench on there with enough room to get a cheater bar on there to get enough torque to move it. I understand the concern about breaking cast iron, but the galvanized is very corroded inside (shock, I'm sure - house was built in 73) and I'm sure at some point it's going to have to be replaced and I don't know if sawing off a bit and using that as a nipple to attache PVC replacement pipe will be worth it. Heck it's tight enough right now without really opening up a wall to get some maneuvering room I don't know if I could get a small angle grinder in there and lop off the end of the galvanized to make the nipple for the PVC to connect to.

I'll get some pictures later today, I thought I had some or I would post them now - whoops.

Anyone who has opinions, strong or otherwise :) please feel free to chime in.

Michael Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
In a tight spot, you can cut the galvanized and use a megapress stainless steel gas fitting, using the megapress head for gas. Black iron and galvanized are same diameter. Megapress fittings are stainless steel and will not leak; either water or gas.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks