Breaker Didn’t trip

Users who are viewing this thread

Jeff Odom

Reaction score
C5D2A1BE-16AD-47D9-8EBF-491FCE38E374.jpeg

Previous owners repair started leaking and dripped into water heater onto the lower thermostat and shorted it out. The breaker didn’t trip, started getting scolding hot water. Looks like this may have gone on for some time, the water heater is in the garage in a closet rarely look in there. Replaced the water heater myself.

Should the breaker have tripped? Should I have an electrician check it?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Depending on the corrosion, the contact, the position, there may not have been enough current to trip the breaker. It's all about how much resistance there is between the power and a return path. Keep in mind that the heating elements can produce a lot of heat and, if they weren't covered in water, would burn out in seconds. A fault out in the open could, over time, melt the wire without exceeding the current available and trip the breaker.

Since breakers can wear out or fail, you might consider replacing the breaker when you replace the WH, but it's probably not necessary. It's not expensive. Don't do it yourself unless you're familiar with the process, but in reality, it's fairly simple...doing it wrong, could kill you, though!

If there's no scorched wire or evidence of overheating at the junction box where the supply wires are connected, or back at the breaker, you're probably okay.

Reach4

Reaction score
I suspect the problem was at that thermostat. In my scenario, there was continual arcing for a long time, generating heat concentrated there. The elements were limiting the current, so the breaker would not be expected to blow.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks