Boiler wiring help needed

Users who are viewing this thread

Harley_Dave

Reaction score
I will be installing a Buderus G215/6 boiler with a 220v waste oil burner. I have the primary pump on the boiler and a secondary pump that will go to my garage in floor heat.

I need help with how to wire everything up such as how to wire the Honeywell L7224 aquastat to the Taco SR503-EXP-4 controller etc.

Attachments

• wiring question.jpg
    wiring question.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 149

Fitter30

Reaction score
Are u going to have domestic hot water? How many zones and are u using? One pump for the zones and zone valves? Guess boiler is piped with a primary/ secondary loop with one pump for the boiler one for zones. Take a pic of the boiler diagram. Zone valves brand, model and thermostat. Outdoor reset? Honeywell control what is the letters after model number?

Last edited:

Harley_Dave

Reaction score
Are u going to have domestic hot water? How many zones and are u using? One pump for the zones and zone valves? Guess boiler is piped with a primary/ secondary loop with one pump for the boiler one for zones. Take a pic of the boiler diagram. Zone valves brand, model and thermostat. Outdoor reset? Honeywell control what is the letters after model number?
This will be a new install as I am switching over from a coal boiler to a waste oil boiler. I just found out that the guy I had wire this up origanally had it wired wrong and the main pump would not shut off when the aquastat hit the low limit.

There will be no domestic hot water on this system. I plan to pipe the boiler with the main pump on the boiler which is plumbed to my hydronic air handler. I have a zone off the main with a pump for heating my garage floor. There are no zone valves and no outdoor reset. The Honeywell Aquastat is a L7224U.

Fitter30

Reaction score
Boiler has only a general diagram. Burner should have it's own diagram take a pic should be in the install manual. Since there is only two zones air handler and floor they should be running at two different temps. If not doesn't the floor get uncomfortable? Boiler minimum is 140° return water. Boiler has a main loop that feeds the ahu and a floor loop with pump can it turn boiler on?

Harley_Dave

Reaction score
Boiler has only a general diagram. Burner should have it's own diagram take a pic should be in the install manual. Since there is only two zones air handler and floor they should be running at two different temps. If not doesn't the floor get uncomfortable? Boiler minimum is 140° return water. Boiler has a main loop that feeds the ahu and a floor loop with pump can it turn boiler on?
I have a thermostat in the garage/basement and one on the air handler for the main part of the house. I have a mixing valve on the floor heat so I am not putting in to hot of water and it seems to work well. I don't have the burner yet so I don't have the install manual but I was able to pull a diagram off their site and I attached it as a picture.

Attachments

• Wiring diagram.jpg
    Wiring diagram.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 245

Fitter30

Reaction score
That HW l7224u is 120v control not rated for 220v. Taco control diagram in the install manual cold start boiler application. T T goes to burner control. Have never seen a 220v burner control if the use a 220v burner motor either single or three phase they use a motor starter to operate the motor. Burner should be purchased with recommended burner control with cad cell style flame protection. 220-240v burner controls are usually not used because under certain failures if a 220v relay would have to open and 120v is powering relay it might open up. Why a 256k boiler what was your old boiler rated and did it short cycle?

Last edited:

Harley_Dave

Reaction score
That HW l7224u is 120v control not rated for 220v. Taco control diagram in the install manual cold start boiler application. T T goes to burner control. Have never seen a 220v burner control if the use a 220v burner motor either single or three phase they use a motor starter to operate the motor. Burner should be purchased with recommended burner control with cad cell style flame protection. 220-240v burner controls are usually not used because under certain failures if a 220v relay would have to open and 120v is powering relay it might open up. Why a 256k boiler what was your old boiler rated and did it short cycle?
This burner comes with burner controls built in. This unit comes with a small tank on the side that has a built in oil pre-heater and there is also a heater at the nozzle. The unit also comes with cad cell style flame protection. From a little research I did this morning it is the burner transformer that is 220V.

My BTU needs are right around 220k. The Buderus G216/6 has a rating of 223k BTU net. My coal boiler is a EFM 520 that was built in 1962 and is rated right around 200k BTUs. The coal boiler works great but it is becoming to much work for me at my age.

Fitter30

Reaction score
Don't know why anyone would use a 220 v transformer. Both the 120v and 220v have 10,000 v secondary cost $50 more and not sure if i ever worked on one.

Harley_Dave

Reaction score
whats the brand and model of burner
The burner I was looking at was a Bairan STW133-2. However after talking to a guy in eastern PA who bought one said they are junk. His only lasted a year and then everything on it started going bad. I did find a guy who has a used Cleanburn 90HS for sale so I believe I will be going that route. It's 110v and has Beckett controls.

Harley_Dave

Reaction score
After doing some more research and talking to a few people who have the Chinese built 220v waste oil burners I have decided against using this burner. I will now be using a Cleanburn 90HS that I picked up used and it is 110v which should make wiring this one up a lot easier. I will update everyone once I start this project. Thank you all for your input on this.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks