Big leak in my shower

Users who are viewing this thread

shenfite

Reaction score
I am new to the forum. My shower in our bedroom has a huge leak at the drain. When I go downstairs to the garage ( bathroom is above garage), I see the leak occur when someone is running the water in shower.

I removed the insullation, and found a 3-3.5 inch PVC nut that was loose. I hand tightened it. It seemed to stop the leak for one day and then it came back.

My questions- Do I buy a tool to tighten the nut?

is there a gasket that need to be replaced?

the whole set up is PVC piping.

can someone tell me what I need to do.

thanks

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Hard to tell without seeing, but in a typical drain of this type, the fitting is sealed into the shower by a sealant UNDER the flange, on top of the shower pan. This sealant is commonly plumbers putty, but could be silicone caulk. If your pipe glued into the fitting, it will be difficult, but might be possible, to loosen the nut then allow the fitting to raise up. Make sure everything is dry, and inject some silicone caulking under the flange. Tighten up the nut, and clean up the excess silicone which squeezes out using denatured alcohol.

The other thing which might be leaking is if the pipe is inserted up into the fitting and sealed with a large donut-type gasket.

If you have more questions and can post a picture, that would help.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks