Best way to pump naturally flowing artesian

Users who are viewing this thread

Mark_G

Reaction score
We completed drilling our well last December. It's 385', fully cased: 120' @10", 195' @7", 40' @5" into bedrock.

Since then, well has been producing 27gpm of clear water at the wellhead that we've piped off to the brook until we complete construction on the house. Flow has been constant, although water slows (gurgles) as if to catch its breath, then resumes flowing.

We are planning to use two pitless adaptors: one to carry potable water, the other to direct the natural overflow. Our well driller wants to use a submersible pump set not too deep for the potable needs, then another pitless adaptor below frostline to catch the natural flow.

The potable water needs to be chlorinated to kill moderate bacteria levels. To maintain hi flow rates, it's been suggested that 240 gal retention tank(s) be used to maximize contact time of the water with the chlorine, then dechlorinate w/carbon filter. It will serve weekend needs up to 4½ bathrooms in two houses. Some days very busy, some days idle.

Which scenario is best -- or can you propose something else?

(A) Use a jet pump to bring water to the holding tanks, chlorinate & aerate in the tanks, dechlorinate w/post filter, then use a small pressure pump to pressurize flow to the house. I have read that supplemental booster pumps offer better "city-like" pressure than a bladder tank. I don't understand if a jet pump would be better than a submersible in this application.

(B) Same as (A) but use a submersible pump set shallow --100'? -- but still no bladder tank.

(C) Same as (B) with submersible pump, but use a bladder tank ahead of the holding tank (to me, both bladder tank & holding tank sound redundant).

(D) Use a submersible pump, chlorinate via liquid injection ahead of the bladder tank, oversize the bladder tank to eliminate the holding tank, then carbon filter before going to the house.

The natural flowing "extra" water will come off the below-frostline pitless and also be piped to the house, through a ground source heat pump, then dumped to the brook. That water will not be treated--we've run enough lab tests to know that we should be okay in this open loop setup, and pump & dump is allowed if the water is not chemically treated.

Thanks for helping me sort this out. --Mark

Mark_G

Reaction score
Michigan has one of the most stringent regulations of any state--I've spoken to a cpl of drillers in your state. But the consistent loophole is that if capping the flow will cause other issues, you can at least petition to keep the well flowing. Our does not have a lot of pressure, but imagine capping 27gpm of water--it will find it's way up somewhere.

Are flowing wells common in Michigan? Here in NY State no so much.

--Mark

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks