Double sink to single sink drain

Users who are viewing this thread

Matt_Towery

Reaction score
Good evening. In the middle of a kitchen remodel and I have went from a double bowl sink to a single bowl. Disposal flange and garage disposal are currently hooked up and is draining. My question is how would you hook up this connection? The way I have it hooked up now is a place holder for the time being. Please see pictures below.

Attachments

• 20200705_174348.jpg
    20200705_174348.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 170
  • 20200705_174356.jpg
    20200705_174356.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 171
  • 20200629_170714.jpg
    20200629_170714.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 164

Reach4

Reaction score
What is the altitude difference between the 1.5 inch OD black pipe out of the disposal and the 1.5 inch pipe going into the fitting at the wall? i.e., which is higher, and by how much?

Use a level. A laser level is nice, but a bubble level will do the job.

Attachments

• img_2.jpg
    img_2.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 190

Matt_Towery

Reaction score
What is the altitude difference between the 1.5 inch OD black pipe out of the disposal and the 1.5 inch pipe going into the fitting at the wall? i.e., which is higher, and by how much?

Use a level. A laser level is nice, but a bubble level will do the job.

1.5 fitting in the wall sits a tad higher.

Attachments

• 20200705_184503.jpg
    20200705_184503.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 173

Reach4

Reaction score
You need to get a shallower sink, or get the wall opened and a lower drain connection put in.

Matt_Towery

Reaction score
You need to get a shallower sink, or get the wall opened and a lower drain connection put in.

Yikes. That is what I was afraid of. What are the disadvantages of the wall drain sitting higher than the disposal drain? Is lowering the drain in the wall my only option?

Reach4

Reaction score
Yikes. That is what I was afraid of. What are the disadvantages of the wall drain sitting higher than the disposal drain? Is lowering the drain in the wall my only option?
What is the dimension from the bottom of the sink to the middle of the disposal outlet? 6-11/16 inches maybe?

Reach4

Reaction score
Bottom of sink to center of disposal outlet is 6 inches.
So you probably have a Compact or a Space Saver.

I wish I could tell you there is a special mount that would raise your disposal 3/8 inch. Sounds like a useful product, but I don't know of anybody offering it.

So change sinks? The deep undermount sinks can be a problem.

Maybe somebody will tell you that having water standing in the bottom of your disposal is not so bad. I am not a plumber.

Matt_Towery

Reaction score
So you probably have a Compact or a Space Saver.

I wish I could tell you there is a special mount that would raise your disposal 3/8 inch. Sounds like a useful product, but I don't know of anybody offering it.

So change sinks? The deep undermount sinks can be a problem.

Maybe somebody will tell you that having water standing in the bottom of your disposal is not so bad. I am not a plumber.

Appreciate your insight. You would think there is something out there. The garbage disposal will be deleted before I open up the contrete block to lower the drain.

Reach4

Reaction score
Appreciate your insight. You would think there is something out there. The garbage disposal will be deleted before I open up the contrete block to lower the drain.
On a slab I presume.

Yeah, not having a disposal is not that big of a deal IMO. Opinions vary.

Matt_Towery

Reaction score
Pulled this from an old thread. Wonder if this will work.

reverse-p-trap-install.jpg

p-trap_reverse_dearborn.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200705-225246_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20200705-225246_Samsung Internet.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 158

Matt_Towery

Reaction score
Trying to figure out all my options. Seems the reversing P trap will do, but the pic below was also from this forum. Thoughts?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200706-054041_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20200706-054041_Samsung Internet.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 164

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
since lowering waste is not an option I wouldnt have standing water in my disposal but no matter what you do your going to have the same set up you do now . It will look cleaner with trap reversed . And look cleaner and function better with disposal removed.

Matt_Towery

Reaction score
since lowering waste is not an option I wouldnt have standing water in my disposal but no matter what you do your going to have the same set up you do now . It will look cleaner with trap reversed . And look cleaner and function better with disposal removed.

Thanks Jeff. Is there a setup that will rid of the accordion p trap? Thinking more of a straight pipe coming out of the disposer.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
yes Matt might need to put a 45 on trap arm garbage disposal turns as well and use trap like terry showed . but i think disposal will be short lived.

Reach4

Reaction score
Is there a setup that will rid of the accordion p trap? Thinking more of a straight pipe coming out of the disposer.
The output pipe is called a "discharge tube" Some are straight, and that may help your cause.
You can also cut your curved discharge tube shorter, so that might work as well as using a straight tube.

You are thinking about having those joints under pressure; that is done a lot and is OK. Don't cut so much as to get the gasket into the curved area of the discharge tube. Don't use tape or dope on the connections, but some thicker silicone grease might be a good idea to get the gasket to seat better.

Some people like to put ice cubes down the disposal to help clean food away.

Last edited:

Matt_Towery

Reaction score
Jeff - trying to picture the 45 as the discharge pipe turns out of the disposer to connect to the reverse p trap.

Reach - Thanks for sticking this one out as this is a learning process. If I ended up going with a straight discharge tube would you cut the drain coming out of the wall back a little to get some distance on the tube coming out of the disposer? Envisioning a straight pipe with a threaded 90 to the reverse p trap.

Reach4

Reaction score
If I ended up going with a straight discharge tube would you cut the drain coming out of the wall back a little to get some distance on the tube coming out of the disposer?
Cutting that pipe, and gluing a new trap adapter close to the wall would give flexibility. Also, you can rotate the disposal to put the output orientation the way you want.

I am not sure that a straight discharge tube would help.

You could cut a double offset tube to get a 45 that you could stick into the trap adapter, to give the 45 that Jeff suggested.
brass-everbilt-drains-drain-parts-c1046a-17-3-e1_145.jpg
index.php

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks