Beginner plans--do these make sense?

Users who are viewing this thread

rutland

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm a beginner when it comes to plumbing, with just enough knowledge to be dangerous. We recently re-did our kitchen and we're at the stage of connecting up the sink to the drain. The problem is that the drain comes up through the bottom of the cabinet.

From my research, I think I can't just put an s-trap in there because it'll cause havoc with venting / the water trap, etc. So my other option is to use an AAV. What I'm not sure of is when you can just put an AAV 4 inches above the p-trap arm vs. having it 6 inches above the sink's flood line. I'd like to avoid the need to put the AAV 6 inches above the flood line as the only option is to have it visible above the counter. (If that's my only choice, any tips / tricks to make this more, say, palatable?)

Anyway, I made a mock-up of what I think would work, but I'm not sure and would like some feedback on it. Note if I could go directly into the wall from the p-trap to the roof vent, I would. Chalk it up to the "wife enjoyment factor" lol.

rutland-01.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Reach4

Reaction score
It looks like Canada want the AAV higher. They make boxes with louvers to go into a wall.

But if you can reach a vent through roof, that would be better.

rutland

Reaction score
It looks like Canada want the AAV higher. They make boxes with louvers to go into a wall.

But if you can reach a vent through roof, that would be better.
Yeah, I have windows all above the counter by the sink, so no wall to put it in. Definitely no access through the roof :( .

Reach4

Reaction score
Yeah, I have windows all above the counter by the sink, so no wall to put it in. Definitely no access through the roof :( .
Your proposal would work.

How far is it horizontally to the edge of the window, left or right?

rutland

Reaction score
Your proposal would work.

How far is it horizontally to the edge of the window, left or right?
It's 2' to the left, 5 1/2' to the right, but with the cabinets and counter installed, opening the walls at this point would be a nightmare.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks