Bathtub drain pipe confusion

Users who are viewing this thread

CC_CT

Reaction score
Hey folks, first of all thank you for your expert opinions that you share on this site. I've learned a ton from reading on this forum.

I'm preparing to replace my 30-year old tub with an acrylic one, and I opened up an access wall to see what was going on. As you can see in the pictures, the drain pipes are copper and connect to the ABS plumbing via the slip nut fitting. Then there is the p-trap which connects to the vertical ABS pipe you can see at the wall. I plan on replacing the copper pipe with ABS piping.

I was a little surprised to see an extra "joggle" in the copper pipe where the tub drain and overflow drain pipes meet, before it hits the ABS p-trap. Most of the tub drains I'm seeing online go straight down and connect to the p-trap directly.

My question - when I replace the copper with ABS, is it a bad idea to mimic the shape of the copper pipes and attach to the existing slip nut? Or should I cut away the old ABS trap, attach/extend a new ABS line, and put the p-trap directly under the tub (and thereby getting rid of that joggle)?

Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

20191114_203010.jpg
20191114_203134.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Get rid of all the brass and use all new ABS fittings and tub drain. There is no reason to reuse the brass.
And install the p-trap where it makes sense, normally below the vertical on the waste and overflow.

CC_CT

Reaction score
OK perfect, thank you. I didn't know if the extra joggle before it got to the p-trap would cause an issue. I'll plan to relocate the p-trap to under the tub.

Thanks for your help!

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Replacing a tub is relatively a big job, therefor you should only use new connectors and pipes through out.
Do it correctly, do it once.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks