Bathroom sink pipe question

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Samanta, Sep 13, 2020.

1. Samanta

Samanta New Member

Hi and thank you
    Just a quick question, I know absolutely nothing regarding plumbing and will attach pictures. Can anyone help me out with the part name from the image. From what I've seen I think it's a pvc joint extension tube. Also in the second picture that silver part w/ a box around it came loose . How do I go about repairing that & also what is it called
    Thank you

received_2641537636087953.jpeg received_1844494115697541.jpeg

2. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

Crummy flex thing is called a tailpiece extension.

Cross-threaded silver thing is a threaded tailpiece.

White thing on the left is a glued trap that makes things harder to align for you.

Samanta likes this.
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

Samanta likes this.
  4. Helper Dave

Helper Dave In the Trades

That flex piece is a tailpiece extension. Get a rigid tubular tailpiece extension to replace what you have. It's already lined up, so no problem replacing. Those flex ones tend to catch stuff and grow bacteria (and they're not to code). The one you buy may be two-sided. Just cut it to size with a hacksaw.

The silver piece is part of the pop-up drain assembly. The threads on them are very slim, so it helps to add a little pipe dope to it when you thread it on. They only need to be hand-tight. That bottoms them out.

5. Samanta

Samanta New Member

Thank you! That makes things a bit easier, the extension piece broke in half completely so atleast now I'll know what to ask for