Basment waste pump out question

Users who are viewing this thread

lwadle

Reaction score
My townhouse has the rough ins for a toilet and sink plus it has a holding tank already sunk into the floor. There are also exposed pipes (capped) that lead into the vent and waste pipe from upstairs. My questions is what is the next step in my process to get the waste out to street level?

I have searched the internet and it appears the holding tank just becomes a small septic system until the level rises enough to pump it up and out. (sort of like a sump pump). Is there a way to not hold the waste and just pump it directly. The pipe coming from the bathroom area does not appear to be a PVC pipe.

Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Leo

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
PUmps do not live long if they turn on and off frequently. There'd have to be some small tank and level switch, or you'd need flow detectors on the system, which would be unweildy, and would give grief. So, unless you have gravity which is always on, yes, you need the sump and a pump. You want a pump with a separate float switch so when it fails, you don't have to take the pump apart to rebuild it. Having a pump run constantly with no load would be both costly, and you'd probably burn it out quickly - most are designed to be cooled by the flowing liquids...no liquids, no way to expell the heat, motor burn-out.

lwadle

Reaction score
pump type

Thanks for the response. That all makes sense and seem logical as you have explained it. Do you recommend a specific brand or horsepower?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
This question gets asked and the search function in the blue bar should get you some recent comments. Zoeller makes some nice stuff and another brand was also mentioned as good. There were also some to be avoided (Flotec, I think).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks