Basement toilet flange

Users who are viewing this thread

KCDave

Reaction score
My basement has a 3" line stubbed for a toilet. When looking at flanges everything at the borg was 3x4 which fit over the 3" pipe. I found one at **************.com that fits inside the 3" line. I'll check with local code to see if it is ok to use, but will the toilet flush better it I get the 4x3 and chip out the concrete or will I even notice the difference? I can't stand to plunger toilets and I want to do whats best to make sure that Ultimate Seafood platter from Red Lobster goes down without a hitch.

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I would hesitate to make the drain smaller than 3" although it is done. If you don't mind getting your hands on a decent size hammer drill (small, but not too small) a.k.a. rotary drill... drill holes close together all the way around the stub out, clean it up really good and install the 4x3. Should take about an hour. You should use an inside pipe cutter to trim the stub down to where it will allow the flange to fit properly to the floor. I've also seen angle grinders used for this purpose. I doubt you could get it short enough with a sawzall.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Bigger is better, but think of it this way...except on a very few toilets, the internal passageways are in the order of 2-1/8". You never want to make the drain get smaller on the way down because it will trap things, but as long as it gets bigger, it would probably work. An inside flange probably has a hole in the order of 2.5".

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks