Basement Shower Drain and concrete floor.

Users who are viewing this thread

CRP

Reaction score
I'm finishing up on moving the plumbing to a new location for the installation of a new shower in my daughter's basement. I'll be installing a preformed shower pan, so the shower drain will extend below the floor. When filling the hole in the basement floor with concrete do I just leave about a 5" square open with no concrete to accommodate the drain? Should there be some type of membrane in this open area, or does the soil just remain uncovered?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Yes, the drain on a preformed shower pan is below the finished concrete. We leave a hole in the concrete large enough for that.

CRP

Reaction score
Yes, the drain on a preformed shower pan is below the finished concrete. We leave a hole in the concrete large enough for that.
Do you just leave the soil exposed? Or cover it with plastic or something?

Helper Dave

In the Trades
Reaction score
We usually make a 6x6 box out of two by fours to have around the shower drain. Then it in with gravel once you've got the p-trap in there, and set to give it bedding, and keep it from shifting around. No need for plastic.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks