Basement leaking toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

Jazzy66

Reaction score
I just recently replaced an old toilet in my basement with a new one. The problem I am having is that I am losing water from somewhere but do not know where. Every 3-5 minutes that water turns on and has to refill part of the tank. Now when I looked into the bowl I noticed that the water level had gone down. I've heard of simple dye tests to determine the source of the leak but I'm not sure. Even though there isnt any visible water leaking on the floor could it be the wax ring? I don't want to have to call in a plumber for a series of tests that I could do myself to rule something out. Thank you.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You may have two problems. The only way water generally leaves the bowl is when you flush or it has a leak. That generally means a defective bowl. Water leaking from the tank is usually the flapper valve. Make sure that the chain is adjusted properly (i.e., it isn't too tight and not letting it close fully or too long, and getting caught underneath it). Also, make sure that the lever is not sticking or rubbing on something that prevents the flapper from sealing. Then, make sure that there's no crud caught on the seat where the flapper valve seals. If all of those look good, then the flapper may be defective. If you assembled the toilet, make sure that the flapper is installed properly. If there are lugs on the tower where the flapper attaches, and the flapper has a ring that goes around the overflow tube, cut out the ring and only use the lugs. If you use both, it almost never seals as it tends to warp the thing.

If the flapper valve is sealing, the assembly that that seals to may not have been tightened. That usually means taking the tank off and tightening the big nut on the bottom of the tank.

Note, the level in the bowl may take a moment to stabilize, but after that, unless it sits for a long time and evaporation lowers the level, or pets drink from it, it should not drop.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks