Basement Bathroom w/ Ejector Pit Vent Question

Users who are viewing this thread

SamuelL

Reaction score
Hi all,

This is my first time on the forum so please forgive me for any newbie questions. I'm re-doing my basement bathroom and I want to confirm that I'm venting it properly. It's below grade and the existence of the ejector pit is adding some confusion to the mix. Firstly. let me list my assumptions so that everyone knows where I'm coming from:
  1. This is a basement, part of which I've dug up. The PVC colored in pink is already installed. The pit is embedded in concrete and I'm reluctant to touch it, and the rest of the assembly shown in pink is already glued together and there is no way for me to dismantle it so I've left it as-is
  2. I'll be using a wall-hung toilet which is why the 3" drain is located in the 2X6 stud wall
  3. The vertical 2" vent is already there, dedicated to the bathroom and goes outside to the roof line
  4. I originally wanted to use the vent from the ejector pit as a wet vent for the lav (in the front-left of the picture), but I've since read on this forum that this is typically not allowed so I'm just leaving the ejector vent as-is.
  5. The lav waste is running all the way to the vent because, as previously mentioned, I'd rather not dig up the entire concrete floor of the bathroom and my original plan of wet-venting the pit went out the window.
  6. All of the 3" 90 are medium length 90s, I'm hoping that's sufficient
Given the information above, does this all look copasetic or am I way off?

samuel-l-01.jpg

SamuelL

Reaction score
Thanks James. How do these look?

samuel-l-03.jpg

samuel-l-02.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Reach4

Reaction score
All of the 3" 90 are medium length 90s, I'm hoping that's sufficient
Why have two 90s, instead of one 45 or 60 as illustrated in https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?attachments/basement-bathroom-2-jpg.70264/ ? Easier path for waste out of the closet bend, plus less concrete to bust up. Closet bend would output at an angle.

Your closet bend should make rough be 12 inches from the finished wall. Your drawing appears to show it closer to the wall.

You could move the combo closer to the pit, and make it more likely you could use a 45.

Last edited:

SamuelL

Reaction score
Thanks for the comments Reach, answers are below:
  1. The concrete in this path was already removed as part of the bathroom demo, I didn't want to bust up more concrete so I'm trying to stick to what's already open. I figured the runs weren't terribly long so I was hoping there wouldn't be an adverse effect on the flow. Does the revised design violate the code?
  2. This is a wall-hung toilet so the bend is actually inside the wall
samuel-l-04.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

SamuelL

Reaction score
That is very helpful information, thank you very much. Looks like I have to rent a jackhammer again. From a flow perspective, would it also be better to flip the shower drain over to the other side? I have that flexibility and it seems to make more sense than forcing the waste into a U turn. Two more follow-up questions as well:
  1. The distance from the lav trap to the vent is about 57" (48" to the wall and then another 9" to the vent). I drew this as 2" PVC, but could I use a 1.5" instead? Would I need to move the vent closer to the trap if I do that?
  2. I cut the pink 4" PVC at the fitting (no other choice there was another fitting butted up against it) so now I have a 4" PVC fitting with a 4" PVC pipe clued inside. Is there an off the shelf fitting that I can use to join this with the 3" PVC pipe?

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think your under the IPC because your in New Jersey. Trap to vent distance for 1-1/2" is 6' and 2" is 8'. I would use this layout.

Is there an off the shelf fitting that I can use to join this with the 3" PVC pipe?

It's called a PVC 4" x 3" reducer.

Attachments

• samuel-l-03.jpg
    samuel-l-03.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 249

SamuelL

Reaction score
Thanks. Is there a special type of reducer? I thought that a 4" to 3" reducer takes a 4" pipe on one side and a 3" pipe on the other with both pipes going INTO the fitting. In my case I would need a fitting that would go INSIDE 4" PVC pipe on one end and then sit OUTSIDE the 3" pipe on the other.

SamuelL

Reaction score
Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but in this specific instance, could an argument be made that the pit serves as a cleanout? If there were a clog in the 3" line couldn't you snake all the way to the 90 from the opening in the pit? And on the other end of the line, from the toilet down into the first 90?

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score
In my case I would need a fitting that would go INSIDE 4" PVC pipe on one end and then sit OUTSIDE the 3" pipe on the other.

Their is no good way to solve that problem. I would remove the fitting and start new at the basin.

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score
The distance from the lav trap to the vent is about 57" (48" to the wall and then another 9" to the vent). I drew this as 2" PVC, but could I use a 1.5" instead? Would I need to move the vent closer to the trap if I do that?

Look up the code that REACH posted.