Banging since installing upstairs toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

theboneman21

Reaction score
Hey gang. Ever since I installed my upstairs toilet, when I flush, when the water stops flowing into the tank I hear a clunk or a thud. Any idea what that is?

I'm on a well, 30/50 pressure switch, softener and rust Master systems in place.

Reach4

Reaction score
Single bang is water hammer.

You could get a fill valve that closes slower, or get a water hammer arrestor. Sioux Chief 660-TK mounts right under the toilet tank in line where the flex supply line meets the toilet. That will probably be your easiest.

theboneman21

Reaction score
Single bang is water hammer.

You could get a fill valve that closes slower, or get a water hammer arrestor. Sioux Chief 660-TK mounts right under the toilet tank in line where the flex supply line meets the toilet. That will probably be your easiest.
Thank you

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Do you mean the knob, like only open it halfway ?
Yes...it will take longer to refill the tank. If that becomes an issue, try the hammer arrester. For most people, a slightly longer refill isn't a big deal.

theboneman21

Reaction score
Yes...it will take longer to refill the tank. If that becomes an issue, try the hammer arrester. For most people, a slightly longer refill isn't a big deal.

Ok i scaled it way back and not the loud bang is like a small, subtle clunk.

I'm guessing at this point I need to drain the lines and and see where I end up

Reach4

Reaction score
Like the Korky QuietFILL® Platinum Fill Valve

theboneman21

Reaction score
I'll pick up the valve next time in town. In the meantime, I scaled the valve all the way back to barely open. The reason being, something occurred to me.

A couple of months ago I had work done in the downstairs bathroom, up in the ceiling. At the time the plumber asked to change the supply line to pex; he was going to have to remove it to do his work and figured might as well change it rather than feed the old one back up.

Anyhow, while reading about this, knowing it'd be a few days before I went to town, something occurred to me. When I changed the toilet I recalled having to barely turn it to close it and thought "hmm, he didn't open the valve all the way"

Then another thing occurred to me. Before the toilet change, a common thing would be, when bathing my kids, they'd pee while the tub was running and I'd tell them not to flush but they would. Used to be it took forever for the flow to stop and the tub water to get back to lukewarm. Since I put in the new toilet and opened the valve full tilt, the toilet filled up really quick. And that was the same time the hammer appeared. So I scaled it back to barely open, the toilet is taking long to fill again like before, and the bagb is gone.

So looks like I'm ok until I get into town. Thanks all !!

Reach4

Reaction score
While you are at it, consider picking up a pressure gauge with a garden hose thread. If you have city water at 100 psi, that would tend to make more of a bang than 50.

theboneman21

Reaction score
While you are at it, consider picking up a pressure gauge with a garden hose thread. If you have city water at 100 psi, that would tend to make more of a bang than 50.

I'm in the country Ona well with a 30/50 switch and low level shutoff. I had both toilet valves open full titlt so I'm guessing I made my own problem

Reach4

Reaction score
I'm in the country Ona well with a 30/50 switch and low level shutoff. I had both toilet valves open full titlt so I'm guessing I made my own problem
You did nothing wrong. It is normal to have the stop valves on a toilet full-on.

I don't know how you "lucked out" getting that water hammer. Clearly this is not a case where high water pressure contributed. I have to assume that your flush valves close more quickly than the ones I have been around. I am not a plumber, but I have flushed toilets, and been around when the fill is complete.

Care to name the toilets, and tell us what name is on the fill valves?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks