Bad leak after granite installers left

Users who are viewing this thread

Jeff_Bathroom

Reaction score
Seems to be my week for plumbing issues. I had granite installed
this past Friday. The installers had not told me that they remove the Studor sewer vent
to make room for the support and straps that hold the undermount sink in place during the
glue set. I saw it just lying there in the cabinet. Nice that they are ok with sewer gases coming into my home.
So, I re-installed the disposer and new drain and come to find out that I have two new leaks
in the main glued drain pipe. See photos. I'm pretty good at figuring things out, but for this one,
I'm unsure of how to proceed and would really appreciate some advice. It's leaking where I'm pointing
in the two pictures. Am I on track wondering if the plumber who installed this drain didn't use the purple primer in those two connections? I don't see any sign of it. Could the seal on this two joints just fail due presumably from the pipe being jostled around? It just seems really peculiar that they both would fail
at the same time. I'm not familiar with the bottom connection. I'm assuming it is a 3" to 2" reducer. Since there's virtually no bare pipe to cut these pieces out to replace, I'm stumped about how to proceed. I'm guessing I need to remove the whole thing all the way to and including the reducer, but I'm unsure of how it gets removed? Is it just screwed into a 3" female piece? It seems the 2" piece is solvent glued to the reducer?
I'm hoping some expert is online here early that can help.

Attachments

• plumbing 001.JPG
    plumbing 001.JPG
    166 KB · Views: 238
  • plumbing 002.JPG
    plumbing 002.JPG
    163.7 KB · Views: 237

Jeff_Bathroom

Reaction score
First problem solved, more or less.
This piece just pulled right off. It appears that it was not
solvent glued at all; at least not that I can tell.
The big problem now is the 2" piece into the 3".
Can anyone tell me how to remove that 3" piece?
I'm guessing I can use the whole pipe as leverage to
try to untwist it if it is indeed a screw on part.

Attachments

• plumbing2 001.JPG
    plumbing2 001.JPG
    141.6 KB · Views: 228

Jadziedzic

Reaction score
The piece you're pointing to in the second picture of the first post is a reducer; it's glued in (or should be - perhaps the same person who didn't glue the other connection didn't glue this one either, which would make it your lucky day). The most common way of removing it is to drill it out using a "Ram Bit" or "fitting saver", although you can probably find videos on YouTube of people "peeling" the fitting out of the hub of the pipe.

Jeff_Bathroom

Reaction score
Do you mean the 2" pipe is glued into the reducer, or the reducer itself is glued in?
I'm wondering why it has a hexagonal top if it is not screwed in. I did wiggle the 2" pipe
around hoping it was not glued. It seems to be glued or is just shoved in there real tight.
I'm afraid to apply too much pressure.
Attached photo shows where it's leaking; right on the red lettering. Not sure about the back side
of the pipe. If that reducer is indeed solvent glued into the foundation, I think I'm inclined to try some
kind of JBWeld, Locktite, or Plast-aid since this is not a pressurized pipe. Thoughts? Would
that be a red flag for inspection even if it worked?

Attachments

• plumbing3 001.JPG
    plumbing3 001.JPG
    164.4 KB · Views: 254

Jeff_Bathroom

Reaction score
I'm going to try plast-aid. I researched reviews on each and I like this video -
amongst other reviews of pvc use.
Anyone know how to get rid of that nasty black moldy stuff in the pipes? If I pour bleach down the drain, it's just going to go past where that stuff is. Anyone know of a good method?

Jeff_Bathroom

Reaction score
On the other hand, I cannot seem to find it locally and I'm not sure I want to wait for several days for shipping.
....update - found it at a local swimming pool supply store.

Unless of course a pro thinks this won't work or someone has a better idea.

Last edited:

Jeff_Bathroom

Reaction score
Ok, back in business. Seems this Plast-aid works well; at least for the past 30 minutes. :)
I sanded all areas down really well and cleaned with alcohol and followed the instructions in the video noted above.
Thanks for the advice jadziedzic.

Attachments

• plumbing4 002.JPG
    plumbing4 002.JPG
    156.2 KB · Views: 216

Jeff_Bathroom

Reaction score
There was yet another leak in that drain pipe. I also used the Plast-aid to fix it.
Clearly this entire drain assembly should be replaced, but I'm out of work at the moment and poor, so this worked for me.
I think the piece that came right off also had been glued...more or less, but not with a primer and there was not much
glue residue on it either as I was sanding to prepare for re-gluing. Hopefully this is it.

Attachments

• plumbing5 002.JPG
    plumbing5 002.JPG
    157.7 KB · Views: 216
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks