Backflow preventer in Water Meter?

Users who are viewing this thread

Wayne Lippman

Reaction score
Lowe's website says that houses built since 1985 have backflow preventer built into the water meters. Googling seems to say that only houses with sprinker systems have them. Which is true?

Before I put an expansion tank on today my pressure would go from 50 (where the PRV was set) up to 90 (which is the feed pressure); so I presume my 2006 house doesn't have one; but I could be wrong.

Fitter30

Reaction score
You would have to check with your water purveyor. In Missouri as a state certified tester, houses only get a rpz backflow on sprinkler systems that have to tested once a year and certified. Cities and counties can spec other like a boiler. Commercial is total different.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The feds have been pushing utilities to add check valves for a long time now. While it doesn't happen often, and the specific circumstances don't occur that often, it is possible to pollute the supply system without one. It's a matter of time before all of the utilities install one, if they haven't already. Where I live, it's been code to have an expansion tank for decades to account for the fact that the utility is working its way through all of their customers, installing check valves.

This is different that what is required for a sprinkler system, where a simple check valve doesn't normally suffice.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
Lowe's website says that houses built since 1985 have backflow preventer built into the water meters. Googling seems to say that only houses with sprinkler systems have them. Which is true?........

You are getting the two mixed up. Most water companies are adding backflow preventers just pass the meter. Without one as the water expands from heating, it can be pushed back into the main line. A backflow preventer can be different for a sprinkler system. It is a vacuum breaker type or double check valve installed just before the irrigation system. Though both may be called the same and have similar function, there are many different designs for it particular use. One designed for a sprinkler only cannot be used on your water supply line. A home with city water used for irrigation and domestic use could have two backflow preventers.

Google "backflow preventer diagram" and you'll see different designs.

Last edited:

Bannerman

Reaction score
The 'PRV' you mention is a Pressure Reducing Valve or Pressure Regulator Valve, which itself will prevent backflow back into the municipal distribution system.

Once a PRV is added, an expansion tank will be needed as cold water that expands when heated in the water heater, will have no place to expand to when no water is being drawn. This will result in excessive pressure on the home side of the PRV.

When there is no backflow prevention device, cold water that expands in the WH will simply push back into the town's distribution system and the home pressure will remain at the usual pressure delivered from the town.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks