Back to back p traps

Users who are viewing this thread

Harris

Reaction score
plumbing-goofy-1.jpg

Hi all - new to the forum and had a (hopefully) straightforward question.

I recently had some professional work done and contractor put in a new vent through the roof, and installed a p-trap in the wall, and then 90'd to what will be a bathroom sink. Further down that pipe I have a utility sink utilizing that same p-trap.

With the p trap in the wall do I still need to have an additional p trap under each sink?

Rough sketch attached for clarity

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
WHO would ever put a "running trap" inside a wall? That is one of the worst ideas ever. It is NOT permitted, and even if it were, it would be a bad idea. You CANNOT have any additional traps under the sinks if you want them to drain.

Harris

Reaction score
The walls are currently unfinished, so it sounds like an easy fix is to remove the p trap in the wall and just let the traps from the sinks do their thing?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
plumbing-goofy.jpg

Normally the lav has a higher drain anyway, so I would run a trap arm over to the laundry tray and vent that back to the stack at 42"
Then I would stack a santee over that and arm over for the lav.

Back to back p-traps are often done this way too.

double_lav_rough_1.jpg

Last edited:

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
The only p traps that can be hidden is one for a washing machine drain (in the wall 6-18" from the floor), and the other is a bathtub and shower drains below the floor level.

Harris

Reaction score
I've finally found some time to fix these traps and had a couple questions on material. The attached picture hopefully provides clarity.

Hopefully the rubber couplings are OK for splicing into the existing vent, but my main question is can I use a horizontal Santee to vent upwards or do I need to use a wye plus a 45 coupling to make the 90 degree turn up.

Thanks again.

Attachments

• 20190613_083609.jpg
    20190613_083609.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 190

Reach4

Reaction score
"Rubber couplings" should be shielded couplings. Dish detergent makes a nice lube for putting them on.

Thing circled in red should not be a santee. It can be wye plus a 45 coupling for sure.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Code for the fitting on it's back is a wye or combo.
A santee works though. It just won't pass inspection where I'm at.

mission_bandseal.jpg

These with the metal wrap prevent the pipes from shifting. The all rubber couplings aren't code approved.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks